Power steering fluid loss

I have a 2002 Rio with 28,000 miles. I've had to fill the power steering reservoir up two times in the past 5 months. The weird thing is that there is no visible sign of loss anywhere. The car is garaged and there is no leakage on the floor. Inspecting the underside of the car shows no sign of leakage either.

Where in the heck is the fluid going?!

Todd

Reply to
Todd Felmly

Couple things to check:

Crawl under the car and squeeze the boots on either end of the steering rack. Sometimes a slight leak in this area will accumulate in the boots, thus you may not see it for a while.

The other place to look is inside the car. Look up under the dash on the drivers side where the steering column goes through the firewall. Pull the carpet back slightly if necessary. Any oil in this area indicates the shaft seal into the steering rack has failed.

Chris

Reply to
Hal