Accumulator replacement P38

Am I right in thinking once it's discharged, either by loss overnight or using the brakes with the engine not running, then it should be under limited or no pressure? I wan't to do the job myself.

Reply to
Nige

On or around Sat, 17 Nov 2007 18:12:16 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

There's probably a procedure for removing any residual pressure, there used to be on the citroens. My RAVE is too old for that model.

I bet you have to reset the electronics somehow :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Relying on overnight loss is a bit optimistic. You should be able to remove the downstream pressure by pumping the brakes as you suggest. This will make removal of the accumulator 'safe'.

However it does not remove the nitrogen charge from the accumulator itself which is still charged (if it is not totally u/s). Treat the accumulator as though it is fully charged, don't attempt to dismantle, burn etc.. There are safe ways of discharging them which vary according to their design. I don't know this specific one so won't make any suggestions.

Reply to
Dougal