Air Conditioning 110 1985 V8 Saudi export model

After some years of running pretty sluggishly the air conditioning on this vehicle has stopped producing cold air and in fact there isn't any fresh air and not much heat either.

1)A/C I understand that the A/C unit under the bonnet is the "early" type and appears to be a sealed unit (black box with screwed on cover).

2) Fresh air: When you move the levers on the dash no air comes out although the blower turns on all right and runs. I've had the dash off and I see that the little pneumatic thingies which are supposed to open the various flaps to the blower have all packed up. So the flaps don't open and there is no air flow although the blower blows. I see also that there are in fact no fresh air vents under the front windscreen (the two big "vents" are decorative dummies). Presumably the air intake is buried in the engine compartment behind the blower somewhere.

A couple of questions if I may:

- Can the A/C unit be serviced/recharged I wonder, and at what order of cost?

- Independently of the A/C question, the blower/flaps/pneumatic thingie arrangement seems to be a bit of a joke. Would I do better to have slots cut in the bodywork where the vents normally are? But then wouldn't I have to replace the dash? Presumably with a different kind? And where could I get parts for this sort of conversion from?

Your comments/benefit of you experience appreciated.

Reply to
tony.parry