Auto gearbox in Defender Td5

Hi,

Has any one successfully installed the auto gearbox into a Defender Td5? Is this possible? any complication?

Many thanks.

Kent

Reply to
Kent Shih

Hiya

If you read my post below you will see that I have done this to a tdi. When I was searching for a 110 I found two for sale, one was a 2001 model td5 (a beautiful vehicle), I opted for the 1998 tdi as the landrover dealer selling the td5 said that because of the electronics in it then changing to auto would be hugely expensive. Nonetheless its possible. I imagine that like my tdi it would be modelled on a similar aged disco.

Reply to
Rich

Hi Rich,

where is the post that you speak of? Did you use an auto box from a Disco?

Thanks.

Kent

Reply to
Kent Shih

We have done it. A 90 TD5 Engine a bit chiptuned and it goes like a sportscar. Topspeed at about 130 Km/h But acceleration..........

Erwin

"Kent Shih" schreef in bericht news:Lcftb.699$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net...

Reply to
Erwin

Kent

Yes we used a 1998 disco box, it just dropped right in, little bit of mucking around with the wiring loom for the ignition inhibit on the selector, and as it came out of a Japanese market disco there was a bit of fabrication needed for the fuel pump/accelerator but if you are in the U.K this probably wont apply. We retained the defender transfer box. Power is great and acceleration has surprised everyone. Pretty much no loss from the change to auto.

Reply to
Rich

So is top speed and acceleration compromised for going to an auto box?

Kent

Reply to
Kent Shih

Kent Hi,

Regular autoboxed usually compromise acceleration, top speed and fuel consumption figures and performance.

This is mainly due to the power losses produced from the torque convertor and from the transformation of energy to heat on the autobox's oil.

Last generation autoboxes though (such as the latest type offered by AUDI) are in fact better than manual boxes both on fuel consumption and performance (top speed and acceleration)

Some modern autoboxes also are stronger than manual gearboxes. One of those cases is the japanese desighed and produced AISIN autobox used on the V10 engined Touareg. The engine of this car is so powerful (750 Nm of torque at

2000 rpm) that no manual box of decent external dimensions could handle it.. But this autobox is capable of doing so.

So it mainly depends on the type and generation of autobox we are talking about.

As for our case of a Defender or Discovery then YES the autobox results in a decrease in performance of top speed and acceleration and in an increase of the fuel consumption.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Having just test driven, and subsequently ordered a V10 Touareg, I can confirm that the AUTO box in this vehicle is the *muts nuts* to coin a phrase. Absolutely bloody amazing. If LR could have put this in my RaRo and the dealer been a bit more helpful, I would not be saying goodbye to FY03 LXG (217 DMR), BUT needs must and reliability is a big issue that swung the balance. Still, we have the Freebie and 90 still to play with....... now about getting her Freebie dirty......

Reply to
Foxhunter

Hi Pantelis,

thanks for your detailed explanation. I couldn't believe VW's producing a car that has 750Nm. Wow!

Thank you Pantelis.

Kent

Reply to
Kent Shih

Does this power loss only happens in diesel engines and not petro engines or it happens to both types of engines?

thanks.

Kent

Reply to
Kent Shih

Any type of engine mated to an older design autobox will feel more slugish compared to the same engine mated to a manual box. The "problem" lays with the autobox and not with the engine.

On the other hand several automakers (LR included) increase the performance of engines mated to autoboxes so as to compensate for the performance losses due to the autobox.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos