Auto Gearbox Question

The auto gearbox on my 1994 Volvo 850 20v GLT gets lazy when it's been standing for a few days; it doesn't want to shift up when I drive away, though when I temporarily move the gear lever to the "3" position the box shifts up as normal, and when I then change back to the normal Drive position, the problem stays gone, regardless of how briefly it was in "3" for. If I don't do anything and just keep driving, eventually, the box does begin to work normally.

I have checked the oil level carefully as per my Haynes service manual instructions. Is it worth changing the oiil (although the manual says I shouldn't need to unless it is particularly burnt)? As putting it in "3" solves the problem, isn't this more likely to be some kind of electronics issue?

Many thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Jaap

On my car, the 'box hangs on to second when cold to force the cat up to temperature as fast as possible. Once warmed up it behaves normally. On a cold day it grinds along in second for quite some time - at least at town speeds.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Firstly, you should change the trans oil in the 850 boxes, despite it not being on the schedule. The lifespan of these boxes isnt much beyond 100k on one which hasnt had 20k changes. It is a known weakspot, you have been warned!!

Secondly, the selector position sensor is also a known problem, but you do not mention the Winter light flashing (indicating a fault) and it also seems to be temperature related, rather than jiggling with the shifter.

Start with a good flush and also confirm whether you get the W light flashing or not.

Although the box will tend to hold the lower gears and not lock up until the engine has warmed through, your post reads that it sticks in 1st gear on initial drive away??

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

So does that suggest this is the correct behaviour? It may indeed be second gear that the car holds on to, rather than first (My mistake). What's annoying though is that when I want to go faster than town speeds, the car won't let me!

Reply to
Jaap

I will definitely give the 'box an oil change. Thanks for the advice. I don't get the flashing W light.

Perhaps I wasn't explaining it well: The car locks onto first (or perhaps second, I'm not sure), when cold. When it warms up all is well. Or, (and this is what confuses me) when I select "3" momentarily.

Reply to
Jaap

I doubt this is correct then, as driving faster than 30 would also warm up the cat quickly. Mine certainly changes up above second even when cold on the open road.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Right, definately the gear position sensor on the box I would say. Your dealer should know all about it.

A good flush and refill will help too, find a local garage who is experienced in flushing an auto box to do it, and supply them with 25litres or so of Dexron III from an independant oil merchant (eg Partco). Its about

1.30UKP / litre

FYI, on the 850 / 70 series you disconnect the return line at the oil cooler on the side of the radiator, conjure some method to direct the flow into a large bucket, have an assistant sat in the car to start and stop the engine, then with the engine running, pour in new fluid at roughly the same speed as that which is flowing out.

Stop pouring twice and let the box pump out the old oil then switch off, and refill with afew litres, and then pump that out.

Keep going until the fluid coming out is as cherry red as that going in.

Refill upto the low mark, then start engine, go for a ~5mile drive, then top up to the mark with the box hot.

Repeat every 20-25k or so. If you regularly tow, more often.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks to everyone for the tips and shared experiences.

Reply to
Jaap

My Haynes manual suggests Dexron IIe. Type II fluid seems to be a lot cheaper. What's the difference and is type II ok to use as well?

Reply to
Jaap

Type III hadnt been invented when the book was published probably! II or IIe will be ok if you change it regularly.

The original Volvo facotry fill is a type III grade FYI.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..