Chrome ball oil seal?

I'm fitting new chrome balls to my series 3 109. The new big oil seal is a very loose fit in the outer swivle pin housing. I'm worried that if I fill the housing with oil or grease it will all leak out very quickly. Has anybody any experience of this and any solutions.

Ian McDonald

Reply to
Doorbell

It is a loose fit to allow you to centre it on the chrome ball. Most of the seals have a rubbery surface on the side that is against the housing, and is clamped against this by the retainer (if it does not clamp tightly, you probably have the wrong seal, I think the 90/110 ones are thinner). If concerned, run a bead of silicone gasket sealer round the seal before fitting the retainer, but remember you may want to get it off again some time, and make sure the seal is centred before the stuff sets. JD

Reply to
JD

It needs to be loose to allow for variations in location of the 'ball' in relation to the swivel pin housing when the swivel pin bearings are adjusted. On assembly it's clamped by the retainer plate.

My memory from the last time that I did one of these was that the seal is rubber coated on the edge that seats on the swivel pin housing. This will provide that seal that you seek.

Reply to
Dougal

Reply to
bulldurham73

Put sealant round the seal where it fits into the swivel housing, and then replace the retianer plate, otherwise it will leak like crazy. Also, fill swivels with one-shot swivel grease rather than EP90.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Thank you for all the advice.