crankshaft spigot bearing

Do engines that were on autoboxes not have one of these?

I've looked in the destructions and can see where it should be but my new engine doesnt appear to have one.

It did have an autobox on (removed before i got the engine) - do autos not need them then or has mine fallen out or something? or am i just getting confused as i've never done one of these before! ;)

Have ordered one from richard anyway so that i dont get held up, but could do with knowing if i actually need to fit it.

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

Autobox engines don't have them, and you'll need to fit one.

Reply to
EMB

wow. I'm actually correct then! ;) doesnt often happen on a monday morning!

ta!

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

Just a cautionary note, My lightweight had been fitted with a P5 V8 engine and a manual 2A box. When I changed the engine with one from an auto SD1, there was a steel sleeve in where the spigot bush should be. We fit the engine without noticing this and after a trip of about 5 miles to the MOT station and back, we pulled into my garden and knocked the fence down! What had happened was that the input shaft had siezed into the steel sleeve which meant that when the clutch was pressed, although the clutch dis-engaged, the input shaft was still being driven through the bush. I can tell you it took some serious bodging to get the gearbox off!

Tony.

Reply to
Tony

It needs to be reamed to size after fitting, if not it will be a pig to fit the gearbox back on without pulling it up on the bellhousing bolts, then gearchanges will be clonky, and finally the bush destroy itself! Should be fitted between 0 and 1.6mm inside end face of crank then reamed to between

19.177 and 19.202mm.

Andy Fox

110 V8
Reply to
Andy Fox

On or around Mon, 06 Aug 2007 12:50:58 +0100, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

I assume you've got a flywheel?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

No, they don't, there's a projection on the torque converter which holds it central but I can't remember if it reaches the crank or fits in the adaptor.

Good move, you *will* need it.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I really hope that the one currently on the 3.5 will fit :-) ....

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

What does this involve? Do i need to just enlarge the centre of it a bit? I dont have anything capable of meauring like that. My gearchanges are already clonky! thats natural aint it? :)

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

IME it's not actually necessary.

Reply to
EMB

You need a decent expanding reamer - they're asking for 5-6 thou over

3/4" ! We MIGHT have a suitable machine reamer, but otherwise how much 'ole depth have you got to go into ?

Ask nicely ! And I could have dropped one off yesterday...

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Well, after more years rebuilding rover v8 engines than I care to think about, I can honestly say I've never had to ream a spigot bush to size. If it's manufactured to the correct size and fitted correctly it'll be just fine. Lightly oil the outside and drift gently into place using a stepped drift made from a hard nylon or hardwood and you won't have any problems at all. I fit them with a steel tool (locally manufactured in the workshop) and a nylon hammer with no probs. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

If the 3.5 is from anything landrover then it'll fit. SD1/TR8/LDV/TVR etc. are a different flywheel and won't take the landrover clutch. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I've wrecked 2 in my V8 before reading the LR manual which says they need reaming. My mate didn't ream his in his 2.5TD and when the he took the engine out last month it was a mess (fitted 6000 miles ago)! All were genuine LR parts. Don't know why LR don't supply them the right size in the first place, I assume they must allow for them to compress down a bit when they are drifted in? I must admit to cheating now - I ream them before fitting them, using an expanding reamer, so they are a fairly slack fit on the g/box input shaft. ISTR there are aftermarket ones that are already the correct size?

Andy Fox

110 V8
Reply to
Andy Fox

I've never had to ream one out, either on a V8 or any of the others with the larger bush, but before fitting you have to impregnate the porous bush with oil. This is done by holding it up with your thumb on the bottom end, filling it with oil until it will hold no more, then putting your other thumb on the top and pressing down until the oil starts to seep through the bush. The bushes are quite crumbly (for want of a better word) in construction and if they are not fitted correctly they can be destroyed when fitting, I suspect this may be the case when people say they have broken up. Another thing is to make sure the gearbox is in line when pushing it home and not to let it hang in the bush (have a top bolt or two to hand) when refitting.

Martin

Reply to
Oily