D3 TDV6 7 Seat

Just though I'd post my views on the above loaner I have whilst my DII TD5 7 Seat is having it's complimentary oil leaks fixed. (Gear box input shaft (under warranty), rocker cover and rear hubs thus requiring new pads both sides of course, though they are worn anyway.) =A3488 + VAT (before I start to argue...) for the above plus a 36k service and MOT, oh well no one said owning a Landie was cheap...

Anyway the D3 drives very much like a car and has go under the go pedal, I've actually overtaken stuff! Something I rarely do in the DII. It's rather too quiet for my liking, you can hardly hear the engine but tyre noise (Goodyear Wrangler HP 235/70R17) on cornering is intrusive, and I don't mean hard cornering either.

Engine is doing 2000rpm at 70mph in 6th, so is really only a motorway gear. A small hill at 60 in 6th and it's starts to complain a little. Twisty A roads are 4th, straighter ones 5th. The trip computer is telling me 26.1mpg, a tad worse than my DII TD5 average.

The 3rd row of seats and back end I'm not overly happy with. You access and erect the 3rd row seats from the side doors not the rear one. First you have to "roll up" 2nd row seat by the door, two operations and the release for the base is not that easy to find. The lever to release the back of the 3rd row is quite away back and to flip the seat back up is a two handed operation, you can't do it from standing in the door. Release the 3rd row seat and hinge that into place. However you do have a fair bit of room in the 3rd row, certainly big enough for adults, I'm 6' and didn't have knees jammed against seat back or head on ceiling. The DII's 3rd row are really only for littlies or adults for a short time, lack of feet/knee/leg room. With the headrests of the 3rd row up, you may as well not have an interior rear view mirror.

On the back end, the horizontal split rear door provides a nice seat I guess but with the 3rd row seats folded most of the load space is inaccessible, especially on the left due to the shape of the flap. You have to clamber in as there no step provided. On this one the top flap doesn't close hard enough to fully latch when you pull it down, so you have to give it a shove, either on the wiper blade assembly or the number plate light cover. Both will be covered in dirt after it has been driven for a while... With the 3rd row of seats up you have very little load space left, just over a foot between the seat backs and the lower flap. With them down the space is bigger than the DII by a few inches in both directions, lots of gaps and holes for things to drop down though.

Other niggles. Window pushes your fingers when closing the the drivers window, switch too close to glass. The spare wheel has been mentioned before, now that is going to be really nice to handle after the car has been on the road for a while. There is no cover on it all, not even half of one. Just a couple of heat deflecters as the exhaust passes close by. The key is HUGE but does have a programmable button for suspension up/down, panic alarm, or courtesy headlights. Big foot rest for your left foot, maybe too big I find it gets in the way occasionally.

It pumps itself up and down very quickly but I've not taken it off road. The semi-automatic transfer box makes for easy changes (no more double de-clutching). The low box feels to be lower than the DII. The electronic parking brake is OK but I've not tried a serious hill start with it...

9000 miles on the clock and the airbag light is permanently on and the back of the seat cover on one of the third row seats has become detached. That might be a simple clip in job to sort.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We were loaned a TDV6 SE while our fuel tank was being changed. Agree with some of the things you say but definately not about it being too quiet. Once moving it was fine but it was still too clattery at standstill, but then it maybe because I'm used to V8s? I found the back too high and awkward to get in and out of the back and also to reach stuff in the boot. But I love the split tailgate and miss it from when we had a Range Rover and moved to a Discovery. All in all though, very nice to drive and wouldnr say no to one!! Richard

[...]

Richard

Maybe I'm not used to modern, expensive, cars. Previous vehicle was a '95 Mondeo LX before it lost an argument with a drystone wall. The DII TD5 is not particulary quiet. SWMBO'd car is a fairly basic 02 Fiesta...

Inside or out? With the windows shut you can hardly tell the if the engine is running.

It is a nice drive and I forgot to mention that not requiring a whole field to turn around in is handy. Mind my DII has 255/55R18's which might not help its turning circle but do spread the weight on snow.

The one I have doesn't have cruise, or sun roof(s), I like both of those features, add those and it's getting there. The poor access into the large loadspace would irk me. I want my DII back, but if someone was to give me a D3 with the same toys as my DII I probably wouldn't object *that* strongly. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Wonder if you mean the airbag light on the upper right corner of the center dash. If that is the one it is actually telling you the passenger bag is switched off so that a baby can be carried in the front passenger seat. There is a "switch" that looks a bit like a cross cut screw head towards the top of the far left of the dash where the passenger door closes. This switch can not be seen when the door is closed.

Cheers, Chris.

[...]

Bartty

No I mean the red one on the rev counter...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I drove a DIII at a Land Rover Experience centre. It slipped sideways down a grassy bank, which I had just seen a freelander make without a problem. I later took the same bank in a defender easily.

In a 20 minute drive, it go stuck 3 times and fell down that bank (which I was going up in a straight line.....well I was trying to).

You wouldn't catch me swapping my 90 TDi for one!

Reply to
dewils80