Re: Seat belt sign is on even though I'm wearing the seat belt

I have 2000 Toyota Corolla. I noticed this morning that the seat belt

> sign flashes even though I'm wearing the seat belt. If I tug at the > belt it goes away. Comes back on once I leave the belt. > > Does anyone know what the reason could be and how much this may end up > costing me? My oil change is not due until one more month and I want > to save a trip to the dealer if this is not urgent. > > Thanks.

Look inside the seat belt receptacle and make sure there are no foreign object like coins in there.

Reply to
Ray O

Oh yeah! That, too! ;)

Reply to
hachiroku

Coins are the most common culprit.

Reply to
Ray O

Added to my bag 'o tricks! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

I remember meeting with a customer with the same complaint with a car that was about 2 months old and still within the warranty coverage period. The dealer wanted to charge him a diagnostic fee since they suspected that something fell into the receptacle, but the customer refused to authorize a diagnostic fee since he thought that everything should be covered under warranty. I looked at the car, saw something in the receptacle, and fished it out with the tweezers from my Swiss Army Knife. I told the customer that he was lucky that Toyota didn't charge customers for my services, and he still thought that the car was defective because someone from the factory in Japan had to have dropped the foreign object in there. He clammed up when I showed him the "foreign" object, a NH toll token and I politely explained that it was unlikely that a Japanese factory worker would have NH toll tokens in their pocket.

Reply to
Ray O

He just wanted to cover up for his company...

Reply to
hachiroku

I'm too cheap to sacrifice a token for the cause!

Reply to
Ray O

If the coin was Japanese, the story would have been a little different!

Reply to
Ray O