Disco 1 Electric Windows

On my '98 build Disco, the electric windows are playing up. When the ignition is turned off, I used to get about 45 seconds of power to all of the windows provided I didn't open the drivers door. Every so often and getting more and more frequent, with the key in the ON position (engine running or not) only the front windows will operate and as soon as the key goes past the ON position to the ACC position, none of the windows work at all. It is of course an intermittent fault.

What sort of things should I be checking? Any greatly appreciated,

BTW Haven't been on the alt.fan.landrover newsgroup scene for a while and people still seem to be as helpful as ever.. Keep it up!

Cheers, Chookie '98 300 Tdi Discovery SE Perth, Western Australia

Reply to
R & K Fowler

On or around Wed, 16 Jun 2004 21:32:24 +0800, "R & K Fowler" enlightened us thusly:

oh is THAT why the 45 second thing doesn't always work...

the rear-window failure is a known issue.

Bugger!

the article describing how to fix 'em has gone awol.

it used to be at

don't suppose anyone saved a copy?

aha. I see that discoweb is in the middle of an upgrade, the one you want is:

http://68.49.91.161/window/index.htm I've snaffled a copy in case they lose it :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

*grin* Took me a while to read that sentence in the book too. Funny how sometimes you only read what you expect to see! ;)

My rears became intermittent, and I lost the 45-second feature. Gradually, the non-operating rear problem became more and more common, and then they stopped altogether.

It was the controller in the passenger glovebox - on my late 95 Disco they had just switched from relays apparently.

I am pretty convinced that the thing which finally killed it was an occassion when I operated the central console switch for a rear window at the same time as a rear passenger pressed their door button.

Anyway, what I wanted to let you know was that although a new controller is sixty quid or so, I managed to get one on eBay for under a fiver. There is hope!

The next problem was that there was no earthly way the old controller was going to come out, even with it's screws eventually undone. So, although I hate a half-done job, the new one is tightly cable-tied to the old one to get it roughly in position!

:) K

Reply to
Kieran Turner

On or around Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:09:22 +0100, "Kieran Turner" enlightened us thusly:

ISTR it's a pain. however, I did manage it, both out and in. I forget what the trick was now, summat about loosening something else. most common failure seems to be bad solder, which is easily remedied if you have a soldering iron.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I had the same problem...once the rear window ecu controller card is out, judicious brute force helps.... the dry joint is in the middle of the board, which is a common fault to all and although I had the benefit of the piccies from the web site mentioned I could see which one needed re soldering quite easily. Getting it back was another matter but cable ties helped!

Reply to
-Lee-

I had this problem, did some research on the net and found a great site which was a step by step guide to identifying the dry joint responsible for this problem - just searched for it again, but can't find it....... buggrit!

If you're still stuck I can have a rummage and see if I can't find the pics I downloaded at the time....

Cheers

Mac

Reply to
Mac

On or around Sat, 19 Jun 2004 19:25:46 +0200, "Mac" enlightened us thusly:

discoweb is updating, but I found it on their temp. site.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks to all!, I couldn't get the temp site working (or the original one for that matter!) something about a DNS error? Maybe I'll just have to be patient and wait for the updated discoweb site to emerge. At least the problem seems to be readily fixable (I have a soldering iron!) once the pictures become available! I might have to take you up on that offer, mac! Now for the other problem that has just emerged... look out for a posting regarding Disco 1 heater core leaking :-( Cheers Chookie

Reply to
R & K Fowler

On or around Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:06:23 +0800, "R & K Fowler" enlightened us thusly:

that temp site in my other post is working here today.

how can you have a DNS error when the URL has the IP number in it?

http://68.49.91.161/window/index.htm

Reply to
Austin Shackles

mozilla times out trying to connect to this url

art

Reply to
aw

On or around Fri, 25 Jun 2004 19:01:02 +0100, aw enlightened us thusly:

ooer. so it do. it reloaded here fine, must be cached somewhere; possibly locally. I'll see how big the files are, I may have room to put it on my webspace.

bugger. I've not got the large pictures. oh well, the article and thumbnails are there:

http:

If I get the large pictures, I'll substitute 'em.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks for taking the time and space to do that, Working fine now... I'm sure Chookie will be grateful,

art

Reply to
aw

Thanks for the effort! Ended up finally accessing the temp site and have made a hard copy of the bit I needed :-) Cheers, Chookie

Reply to
R & K Fowler

On or around Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:39:55 +0800, "R & K Fowler" enlightened us thusly:

now works properly on my site too...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Tackled the windows last weekend and the fault was exactly as decribed in the following link http://68.49.91.161/window/index.htmThanks again for all the pointers and it really is a 15 min jobCheers, Chookie

Reply to
R & K Fowler