Electric ariel & Car wash

The inevitable has happened! - happily listening to Radio Two in the car wash when I realised that the Disco has ( or had) an electric Arial. Came out and it was a lovely S shape!

I've bought a flexible springy on from Halfrauds, so here come the questions.

1) how do you get to the Arial to get it off !! - I thought I'd get it off from under the wing but I cant see it.

2) is there a fuse to disable the power to it ? and hopefully it's not a shared fuse !

Thanks in advance

PS why the hell did they put a conventional Arial on a 4X4 - I know mine was ripped off in the wilds of the car wash - but it could have been dense undergrowth.

Reply to
StaffBull

StaffBull posted ...

Aerial on my Disco is part of the rear screen heater .. very sensible, but a bit prone to interference when the rear screen heater is on .. but that's only for a few minutes anyway .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

If it's a Disco 1, you need to take the wing liner out. 5 minute job with a screwdriver and long nosed pliers. Try not to break any of the fittings. Lever the middle of the fitting out with a screwdriver then pull it with the pliers until it comes out. Then lever the outer bit out with the screwdriver. Once you've got all the fittings off, the plastic liner will pull out.

Tip - if you are replacing the cable, it'll take you forever to chase it through the bulkhead and dashboard. Instead, cut the old cable and use gaffa tape to tape it neatly to the plug of the new aerial, making sure it's smooth. Then simply pull from the inside, and as you pull the old one through the new one will feed in after it.

David

Reply to
David French