Engine Save

I have installed a hewitt industries thingy to try and prevent another engine blowup on my 300Tdi disco (basically a widget that makes noise if coolant level drops, engine temp goes high, or oil pressure drops). Any way yeserday I was going about 200Km up the coast when the low coolant level buzzer started sounding.

Managed to creep into town and discovered the fan belt I had fitted the previous day way chaffing one of the little water pipes which had started to let off some steam. Filled up the water, crept further down the road to the auto spares place and shoved on some new pipe (being a little more careful with the routing) and saved myself a ZAR30 000.00 rebuild.

Having been through 3 300tdi's due to coolant loss blowups I would go so far as to say that no Tdi should be without such a device. I am still amazed that they did not fit a coolant loss sensor as standard.

Does anyone know if they have rectified this shortcoming on td5's?

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

Stephen Hi,

Range Rover Classics DO have a coolant loss sensor on the cap of the expansion tank. This can be fitted on Discos and you just have to connect a pair of wires, give power, earth one wire and put a warning light or buzzer inside the passengers' cabin.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Pantelis Giamarellos uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Indeed it's a disgrace they were not included in the Disco package full stop.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I'm not sure that it's that simple.

The later versions of the early metal expansion tank (with the bayonet cap) did have a low level sensor. I've had both - 1979 did not, 1988 did.

The plastic tank ESR63? (with the screw-on cap NTC7161) of the 300TDi vintage does not - at least mine (1994) does not. Was one added later?

I've seen a screw cap with integral sensor somewhere. If someone can put a part number to it I'd be interested - at least long enough to find out how horrendous the price might be!

Reply to
Dougal

Dougal uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Standard fit on the 1990 RRC TD (VM 2.5 Diesel)

PRC7925

Has a Amber lamp integrated on the dash dedicated to the coolant level and I'm pretty sure the same light features in the other Classic Dashboards too... just a question of if the Sensor is there.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Thanks, Lee. It must have been removed as a cost reduction exercise not added later as I had assumed.

Reply to
Dougal

|| Pantelis Giamarellos wrote: || ||| Stephen Hi, ||| ||| Range Rover Classics DO have a coolant loss sensor on the cap of the ||| expansion tank. ||| This can be fitted on Discos and you just have to connect a pair of ||| wires, give power, earth one wire and put a warning light or buzzer ||| inside the passengers' cabin. ||| ||| Take care ||| Pantelis || || I'm not sure that it's that simple. || || The later versions of the early metal expansion tank (with the || bayonet cap) did have a low level sensor. I've had both - 1979 did || not, 1988 did. || || The plastic tank ESR63? (with the screw-on cap NTC7161) of the 300TDi || vintage does not - at least mine (1994) does not. Was one added || later? || || I've seen a screw cap with integral sensor somewhere. If someone can || put a part number to it I'd be interested - at least long enough to || find out how horrendous the price might be!

Don't know if it's the same part, but the P38 RR has a screw-fit cap with an integral level sensor.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

The low water leve sensor is standard for all Range Rover vehicles from EA336626, metal & plastic tanks - PRC5077 for metal, PRC7295 for plastic.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd