Halfords again

Want an oil filter cartridge for the Series. Want it now, not later, so try Halfords.

Me: Can I have an oil filter cartridge for a 1972 Land Rover please? Boy: Sure. (Looks on computer) Is that a Discovery or a Freelander? Me: It's a 1972 Land Rover. Discoveries and Freelanders weren't invented then.

Boy: So it's a Defender then. Me: No, as I said, it's 1972. They hadn't invented Defenders then either.

Boy: (Looks at computer some more) Range Rover? Me: No, a Land Rover, Series 2a. Petrol, 2¼ litre.

Boy: If it isn't a Discovery or a Freelander, it's got to be a Range Rover. Me: (slowly) It's a Series Land Rover. Look out of the window. There it is.

Boy: So it's not a Discovery. Me: No.

Boy: Or a Freelander. Me: No.

Boy: Are you sure it isn't a Range Rover?

Supervisor: 1972 Land Rover? Me: Yep. Supervisor: Petrol or diesel? Me: Petrol.

Supervisor: Special order, mate. Take about a week. Me: Thank you my man. I'm glad to see your ongoing staff training programme is bringing you such excellent results.

It was quite funny, really. The above is a summary of the conversation. In reality it took at least ten minutes. The young lad clearly had no idea AT ALL what he was doing. I could have strung the fun out for an hour or so, but it would have been cruel. I don't mind people being ignorant (we all have to learn sometime), but to put this guy on the parts desk unsupervised was taking a bit of a risk with customer satisfaction. I expect he would have been fine selling me a sub-woofer and a chrome-effect gearknob.

Merry Christmas all.

Rich

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I expect he would have been fine selling me a

LOL! maybe he could have interested you in some of those lovely chrome metal effect floormats in dayglo yellow?

Halfords are the motoring equivelant of Currys!!

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Series 3 Landrover 88" (Albert)

__

Reply to
Nige

Why not engage him in a conversation about undercar lights or sub-woofers, then after a while just dump it and wander off.

Reply to
Hirsty's

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

So Hirsty's was, like

That would be wasting my time as well as his, although it's worth considering. :-) My local Halfords was always OK for most stuff, the best thing being that they seemed to be always open, unlike the "better" local motor factors, who seem to be always closed. But now they've had a complete re-fit. They've installed an upstairs floor which is ALL bicycles and kids' toys, and over half the main shop area is devoted to hi-fi, "enhancements" and dubious stuff like 12v fridges and adult scooters. That leaves a small corner for the oily bits. It's a pity, cos I've had some good stuff from there in the past.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

So Mr.Nice. was, like

Indeed. But they were 3 miles away and, more importantly, open. The other motor factors close on a Saturday afternoon, and ordering from Cra/Paddocks would have taken a couple of days. I wanted it there and then. I thought it was worth a punt. Yeah, my mistake.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Richard Brookman composed the following ...

You know what's really stupid is that the oil filter is probably similar, if not exactly the same, as 'some other car' of that era. Oil Filters weren't always made specifically for particular engines, and Landrover used to have a policy of using standard parts where possible. They probably had different part numbers is all .. Now if anyone can ever cross-match part numbers like that .. ;) Now I probably wouldn't like to fit one unless I know it's identical to standard, but if you need one desperately a close match wouldn't harm much. All that really changes, providing the thing physically its is flow rate, volume of oil, viscosity required (big tolerances in those days) and particle hole size which again had big tolerances. I figure so long as it's flowing enough and filtering, what else can go wrong??? ... :)

Same to you and everyone .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

The only thing Halfords is good for is the cheap and nasty oil I bung in my engine, cos it don't stay there that long :)

Reply to
Larry

So Paul - xxx was, like

Practical Classics magazine are doing something like this at the moment. I picked one up in a Mway service area and it was full of cross references to alternators and the like. Trouble is, they're doing it over several issues and I've missed most of it. I didn't see any reference to Land Rovers anyway. But the idea is a good one, if anyone had the time and patience.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

In message , Richard Brookman writes

Sound like my local one in Crewe or have they adopted a universal shop lay out.

Reply to
hugh

Don't do oil changes over Christmas, save it for later !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merry Christmas to one and all

Rich

Reply to
Rich

I didnt realise you were local to me. There are enough other shops round here that you shouldn't ever have the need to buy stuff like that from halfords!

Reply to
Tom Woods

I've started buying oil + filters in bulk for all my cars so that i know i have them ready for when the motivation to change the oil hits me! Makes it much easier

Reply to
Tom Woods

In article , Richard Brookman writes

Sounds like a conversation I had with Direct Line many years ago trying to get a quote for my IIa (long story). Droid on the other end of the phone was convinced that Land Rover only made Rangies and Discos (this was before the time of Freelanders), she couldn't get her head around Land Rover being a model not a manufacturer.

Seasonal stuff.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

Walked into B&Q.......

grab first spotty youth in uniform,

Me " do you have any socket sets?"

SY "yes Sir, follow me" (SY leads me to electrical section, and shows me the range of electrical wall sockets)

Me, "no a socket set"

SY "oh, sorry sir, you want a socket SET" (SY then takes me a few feet down the shelving, and points out the multiplug extensions)

Me "erm. thanks, I'll just browse"

Find a slightly older looking assistant........

Me "do you have any socket sets"

SOLA "erm, not sure, I'll have to ask the manager" (SOLA then leads me to the front of the store, to consult with the manager, who is of course (you guessed it!) spotty youth!)

At that point I left the shop.

This was many years ago, the staff in B&Q now seem to be retired builders etc, and some of them have actually got a clue!

Reply to
SimonJ

I like B&Q, I think their policy of employing older staff is a great idea. There was a big B&Q super-wossit place opened recently (ok, a couple of years ago) in Plymouth which is handy as I'm in Plymouth usually once a week. I know I can go in there and no matter what I'm after, light bulbs, flowers, locks, whatever, there will be a member of staff there that knows them inside-out. brilliant.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Beats my local MGR dealer - I had a motor that needed a clutch replaced - Vanden Plas 1500, or Allegro with smartarse grille on it. Nothing special, just a bit old.

Went to the dealer and the infant behind the desk sat and tried to convince me that there was not, and never had been any such vehicle. Refused to believe that the car ourside was ever a product of the MGR heritage.

It eventually took their service manager LARTing him to get a price. Three hours by the book to do a clutch on one of these. It took me thirty minutes to do the thing. My father claims that on a good run, if nothing seized most mechanics back in the day could do one in 10-15 minutes.

Lovely dealers :@)

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Or local to me! I'd try Brown Brothers but I normaly go to Landranger services at Middlewich as they nearly always have it in stock. Toby

Reply to
TVS

I didnt know there was a landranger there too. I'd feel very posh going up to middleiwch rather than down to stoke :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

On 24 Dec 2004 04:02:05 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (Richard Brookman) wrote: I had virtually the same conversation when getting a number plate made for the 101. In the end I gave up, and agreed that it wasn't a 101 after all,it was a Range Rover. I got my plates, and incredibly, they fitted. Must be the same size on the Range Rover as the 101 :-)

Reply to
Tim Hobbs