Hampshire Off Road

Where are good places to go around Southampton area?

Are there any maps, etc you can get that show tracks your OK to drive on?

Can you drive on Byways? and Bridleways? Footpaths (if wide enough)?

The OS map shows them, but don't tell you if you can drive on them or not, I got a useful map from the MoD, showing where you can drive on Salisbury Plain.

Thanks

Reply to
8unker

Footpaths and Bridleways are an absolute no no!. Drving on these will wind up the locals big time. Join something like the Greenlane Association (GLASS) to find out more.

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J

Definitley!!

See

and click on contacts then meets. There are details there of your local (Hampshire) meet.

Pop along and have a chat with them. They'll be able to help you out with a selection of lanes to drive in your area.

Reply to
Simon Barr

Excellent advice from Simon and Dom.

I have emailed Bunker directly offering to provide help.

Patrick

GLASS Area Representative for Hampshire

Reply to
Patrick Manuel

Hi Bunker,

Further to last post, my mail to 'Bunker' ( snipped-for-privacy@popstarz.org.uk) has been bounced and I can't see why. Please contact me directly if you would like me to provide you with any information.

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Manuel

Try this link for ideas BUT make sure you check BEFORE you go on them :>))

MAB

Reply to
MAB

The maps were drawn up at the start of the foot and mouth crisis in 2000 and so are a little dated now. Having said this I am only aware of a few changes to the vehicular network. You are safe driving the BOATs and pretty safe driving RUPPs in Hampshire. The map does not show (in any detail) the unclassified roads but there are fewer of these and some can be found on the OS maps marked as ORPA. Hampshire are working on a fully interactive publicly available map but are not quite there yet!

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Manuel

there are a few byways drivable in southampton but all the best byways are around salisbury i suggest joining either shire offroad club or even better sadlrc based nr hythe , southampton their web site is

a word of warning if you are on salisbury plain make sure you stick to the byways as after a incident where a cpl of squadies almost got run over the MOD will and have confiscated vehicles so make sure you go with some one who knows the byways or with gps if you need any more help please mail me

Reply to
dale