HELP! 1999.5 Disco won't start_Plz read in

Here's the scenario...The wife goes to start the 1999.5 Landy Disco2 and nada...she can't even switch the locks from the dash as they are dead also.

Me thinks it's obviously just a dead battery (as the solenoid won't even click) but am somewhat surprised that the headlamps, radio, and heater all crank out full on!

I grab a vehicle for a boost and she fires right up....and I let her charge for 30 or so mins. Problem solved?

Nope!!

Next morning I hop in and she's dead again, but this time won't fire up with a boost:(.

The solenoid won't click though the battery tests as fully charged. I clean terminals and climb underneath to check wires at starter. They seem ok....

I'm Stumped! Any suggestions???

Robert

Reply to
stinky

Assuming it's auto, the transmission interlock switch is the most likely culprit.

Reply to
EMB

She is Auto and I'll look at my 'rave' disc for any info on this potential culprit.

Thanks

Reply to
stinky

Statrer sounds knackered too.

Reply to
Nige

The starter never gave any indication it might be on the way out..and the fact that the solenoid doesn't even click has me doubting that but ya never know:(

One thing I noticed when attempting to start this morning is a clicking sound comming from under the console hump on the left side (I think) of trannie.....so the interlock theory makes sense.

The shifter works though and I thought the interlock was supposed to lock it out?

Still Stumped:(

Thanks for ideas though, keep em coming and I'll post my findings:)

Robert

Reply to
stinky

Most recent findings---The hazard flashers, petrol flap, most windows except left rear, all door locks are without power.

Electrical short seems possible. Guess I'll have to have her towed to my trusty Landy mechanic for a testbook:(

Damn

Reply to
stinky

BECM, (I think) with a headache. The body control computer, very few switches, if any, on a DII actually directly control the device they all go through a computer or two... Very strange things can happen if the computers stop talking to each other for what ever reason.

Do the indicators work or are they out as well. Windows are individually fused or prehaps fused front/back or side/side. Door lock is one fuse. *I think* going from memory of the fuse box behind the drop down flap under the steering column. Worth a look and check but if a lot of fuses have gone phut you need to find out why.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

An interesting turn of events has me inserting key in ignition and she fires right up with ALL electronics working.

The only thing I did which may or may not have promoted this was, I ran a heater underneath the engine for 4 hours in the hopes that any electrical shorting might be remedied.

After she started up I drove directly to my Landy mechanics house and told him the recent history. He has testbook and will run some tests but looked puzzled at my description of events.

Thanks guys

Robert

Reply to
stinky