Idiot (me) guide to airline fittings - PCL or Euro

Have been given a toy (3.5 cfm) compressor that saw previous use for tyre inflation - it came with a tyre inflator with an attached curly hose that has seen better days.

I've been told that, as part of the refurb., it would be worth replacing the 'crow's foot' (my best description) couplings with PCL or Euro quick release couplings to facilitate easy attachment of tools and hoses such that when I buy a grown up compressor my life will continue to be happy.

Despite staring at various websites I'm none the wiser as to what I need.

Can some kind soul direct me towards an idiots guide to what the fittings are, what they mean, and what I'd need to be able to connect/ disconnect a hose between compressor and the tyre inflator that I have and the air blow gun that I plan to buy. And also which of PCL or Euro I should choose and why.

Sorry if this is an 'air fittings for dunces' question but if you don't ask . . .

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

They are the air equivalent of the snap together fittings on your garden hose. You'll obviously need a female fitting for the compressor, a male and female for the ends of the hose, and a male for each tool you wish to use. Check the thread size on the hose, compressor and tools (1/4" BSP is my educated guess).

PCL or Euro - your choice really, but if I'm doing the deciding it will be Euro every time (mostly because that's what's always been used where I have worked and is thus on all my tools already). There's also the bonus of Euro being shorter than PCL and thus less prone to snapping off when tools are dropped.

Eblag 270856305403 will do pretty much what you want - they're only cheap fittings and won't last in everyday workshop use but should be fine for intermittent home use.

Answer for dunces - throw the useless, annoying curly hose away and buy a decent one of the non-curly persuasion.

Reply to
EMB

+1
Reply to
Paul - xxx

Thanks EMB - and Paul for your endorsement :-)

Yep, curly hose is destined for the bin when I source a suitably (obviously Euro) terminated hose.

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Buy a rubber hose not a plastic one - it'll last better, scratch vehicles less and coil up properly in cold weather.

Reply to
EMB