Compressors and airline fittings

Hi all, bought a compressor of ebay, and some airline and tools from machine mart only to find i now need fittings to couple 'em all together! can someone explain the basics about compressors for me? i.e...lubrication for the tools, using paint spray guns, precautions etc etc? also the compressor has an air outlet attached to the body of the air receiver and two outlets on what appears to be an air pressure adjustable gadget...which do i use for what?

TIA!

Steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

pcl type connectors (screwfix) are industry standard. good flexible air hose is needed, preferably 3/8 inch or larger. I put flexi joints on most tools (toolstation) . Unless you use an air tool all the time then don't bother with an oiler, just squirt the tool itself every once in a while (with proper air motor oil). The receiver outlet is used if you need very high pressure air for cleaning, not often used, the regulated outlets are used for tools, set the pressure to about 90 psi with the tool running, as a rough guide. spraying needs lower pressure, typically 40psi. Remember to let any liquid out of the bottom the compressor every once in a while. Turn off the air when not in use for a while so the hose is not loaded with pressure continually and turn off the compressor when you leave it (personal experience of exploding hoses and failing valves which mean the compressor runs continually while you are not there.) Don't forget to check the oil level in the pump regularly too.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

================== If you're completely new to air compressors be very careful. Compressed air can be very dangerous and not just for the obvious things such as getting a jet of air in your eyes.

An engineer at a reputable local firm told me recently that compressed air is capable of penetrating human skin and getting into the bloodstream with fatal consequences. I don't know for sure if this is true but he seemed to know what he was talking about. Somebody here may confirm the truth of this - or possibly say that it's nonsense, but you can't be too careful

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Well, I guess it could, under a very specific set of circumstances. In the same way as a pencil can penetrate your ear drum, lodge itself in your brain, and kill you, under an equally specific set of circumstances.

Actually, I really believe you can be too careful, and far too afraid of everything around you. When I was a kid we used to do stupid, dangerous things all the time. Ocassionally, we'd get injured. But that's how we learned.

Sorry to rant, but I'm so sick of the cotton-wool attitude I see all around me. Everything is far too dangerous to use without proper training.

Reply to
Grunff

==================== Well, I agree with most of what you say. In fact there would really be no DIY if we all had to to 'train' properly for every skill and tool we use.

As far as the warning about compressed air goes I think that if it can be as dangerous as the engineer said in any circumstances then it makes sense to avoid unnecessary contact and unnecessary risk.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Air embolism is indeed fatal and something to be avoided when self injecting yourself. This is why there are so many idiot proof systems for things like adrenaline for bee stings - last thing you want to be worrying about when trying to dose yourself is getting air in the system.

Quite *how* you do it accidentally with an air compressor is beyond me but if you stuck a pressure blower against the skin and then fired it I imagine the results would messy and easily fatal.

Reply to
Chris Street

Technically he's correct but you'd have to be particularly stupid to do that with the airline on an ordinary compressor. In fact I'd go so far as to say it would take a deliberate effort on someones part to inject air into the skin. Any chance of it happening accidently is extremely unlikely. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

It can. However the only way that normally happens is with the idiotic unlimited pressure "blow guns" that are half the price of sensible one & even then the main hazard is you applying the blowgun to something & firing bits into your eyes.

Reply to
DuncanWood

How nice to hear this. I too am fed up with health and safety training for every conceivable thing. (I'm not suggesting we should be dangerous)

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

The message from "Cicero" contains these words:

I've seen someone with a tattoo from running an airline over dirt on his skin.

Reply to
Guy King

Now come on, cotton wool is dangerous stuff you know. If you were to fill your mouth with it, you might choke. Ban cotton wool I say, can't be too careful

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat