Standard airline connector?

Hi All,

Is there such a thing as a standard (or de-facto standard) airline fitting used these days please? The sort of quick release thing you have on yer workshop compressor hoses and air guns etc.

A mate uses the ones from the Snap-On van "because they are quite short and seem to work well". [1]

Any other preferences and why please?

All the best ..

T i m

(sorry if this is like a tyre or oil question or has been covered recently) :-(

[1] I would obviously make up an adaptor hose to whatever I finally choose and said Snap-On fitting as mate has a nice range of tools I could borrow in an emergency ;-)
Reply to
T i m

Machine Mart, 'cos they're cheap, and open usually ;) Have some PTFE tape handy and give the fittings a wrap before fitting 'em, stops leaks at the thread..

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

PCL because they are everywhere. Yes have an adaptor hose so you can borrow your mates equipment. Get flexi couplings for tools that benefit , which is most !!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Do they only do one 'type' though, are they PCL?

Good idea.

I think the ones Snap-On supply might be Hansen Auto-Flo and I don't suppose they are compatible with PCL?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ah, cheers. The last time I did anything like this there were a good few options and I try to avoid that akward moment when the storeman says "And what make do you want mate ...," ;-)

Indeed ;-)

Ah, ok. Another mate has one of those on a air-ratchet spanner and it did look handy.

All the best .

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I get the flexi adaptors from toolstation, they were cheapest when I last looked.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yup. PCL seem to be the most common, but personally I prefer Schrader. Especially where extension hoses are used. They don't come apart so easily on the shop floor. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Ahh, errr, all I can say is, they fit perfectly with all my other fittings [1].

[1] Which were all bought from Machine Mart too.........

I'm not helping much am I ?

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

Thanks for that. I never look at TS because we don't seem to have one near us (Nth Lundin) so it's normally Screwfix, the sheds or std car spares suppliers (or ebay etc).

Good to get an idea of prices and models though.

I'm still looking for one of those little (40mm diameter) rubber sanding backs that takes those little screw-on sanding / grinding pads. Ideally I'd like it to fit a 1/4" air die grinder and be able to get the spare pads easily and cheaply (so not Snap-On then)? ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Here we go .. Snap_On, PCl, Schrader and I notice Toolstation do a Uni range (is that another on the list or short for Universal so therefore doesn't count)? ;-)

Interesting point. I bet that's fun isn't it, you are wedged under a car and running late so give the hose a more than frustrated I'm_in_a_hurry tug to get it to reach the last foot and you hear "Pffoomp" from the other side of the workshop .... :-(

I noticed in my local cars spares place those plastic curved moulded guides you wedge in front of/under the car wheels allowing the hoses to run round freely. Did I see them on Dragons Den or somewhere, ages ago?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Short for universal. It's not very universal & it only applies to the socket :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Ah, I think I might of meant Screwfix as they seem to do a male as well?

In my world 'Universal' usually means it won't work at all, let alone with anything else?

Funnily enough though, I like the shorter look of the Uni plug bit as it's a bit like the Snap-On supplied fitting. I think being shorter might mean it's less likely to snap-off if you dropped it (less leverage)?

Why don't there seem to be any real descriptions around this gear? Is it that such places are for 'The Trade' so should know what they need / want or just too many product lines to keep up with? Wiki anyone? ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I have one of those, the abrasive pads are made by 3m, so maybe they do the backing. Snap on van would be able to supply, it won't be THAT expensive

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Oh, ok and does the shaft have a 1/4" spindle do you know please? My mates one (probably SO) is a direct screw fit onto his (Bluepoint I believe) air tool.

Handy the way the pads screw on/off to the backing (rather than Velcro). That way it seems to hold them on very securely and keep them dead central etc.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

The set have came as a 90 degree die grinder plus the 3m holder and pads My kit is MAC tools ADG4AHK The pad holder is std. quarter inch shaft mac number RSD5539 and is described as a 3M ROLOC disc holder.

HTH Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Or you can buy them easily on ebay. Check your collety size though, mine are all 6mm.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

There's only about 3 noramally around.

if you're bored.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Ah cheers, so that's what they are called then. ;-)

So where did you get these sets from can you remember please, was it in the UK?

Are MAC Sold through Stanley here?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Now I know what they are called I can. ;-)

Ah, ok. I've just emailed one of the sellers to ask.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

MAC have their own travelling vans, like a low budget snap on.

Reply to
Mrcheerful