Ignition lock problem

Suddenly the key will not turn in the ignition lock of my 1997 Disco TDI. The key goes in freely but refuses to turn, same result with the key I normally use and the less used spare. Anyone have any ideas?

-- Keith (London, UK) Land Rover Discovery 300TDI Triumph Sprint Executive

Reply to
Keith Wilkinson

"Keith Wilkinson" wrote in news:VA.00000277.06131309 @spam.nospam:

Inside the barrel of the lock are several small "cylinders". When you push the key in, these are pushed upwards by an amount proportional to the corrugation in the key. If the lock gets contaminated, the cylinders, which are spring loaded, may stick and not slide into the correct position. The key can only be turned when all these cylinders are in the correct position. That's the best explanation I can give.

The solution is to soak the lock in WD40 or Plus Gas -- and pray. You could also apply a little gentle heat (or, better, heat the key) and work the key backwards and forwards until things become unstuck.

If you attempt to turn the key by force, you will only make matters worse and could break the key.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

It sounds like the barrel has fallen to bits, or possibly the electrical switch had broken up and janned it. It could also be the steering lock has jammed - wiggling the steering column may free it up if it's the latter.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Walk around to the back of the car and carefully check the registration on the numberpate against the V5 certificate for your car.

If different, then the car you are trying to start is not yours, and may have been left on your drive by a passing thief who has made of with your vehicle, but could come back later to retieve his own car.

HTH

David

or just spray it with lots of fine oil, (though not WD40 which eventually dries out and goes sticky) seems to be the usual advice. Graphite powder has also been recommended in the past.

Reply to
rads

You have tried wiggling the steering wheel at the same times as trying to turn the key haven't you? If the tyres are holding the steering against the steering lock you can't turn the key until you release the pressure...

Oh, have this egg. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No it's not the steering lock. I know what that feels like. And I don't think the steering lock is actually clicked into engagement because I left the wheels pointing off centre when I parked. It's almost as if it's the wrong key, but it isn't.

-- Keith (London, UK) Land Rover Discovery 300TDI Triumph Sprint Executive Piaggio X9

Reply to
Keith Wilkinson

Thanks for that suggestion. I don't like the idea of using oil. Do you know where I can get graphite powder?

-- Keith (London, UK) Land Rover Discovery 300TDI Triumph Sprint Executive

Reply to
Keith Wilkinson

Not uncommon, sadly.

You either need a new lock (Richard will tell you the prices) or take yours to a locksmith (a proper one) who may be able to clean and rebuild it for about £20.

Meantime, it's easy to remove the lock and use the key to turn the electrical switch (which just plugs on the end of the lock barrel).

I did mine twice, before surrendering to a new lock.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Reply to
Brendan

Confucius recommends a pencil linescrubbed up and down the key as appropriate.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Fairy Nuff. B-)

If the steering wheel is within 15 degrees or so of the click position it's easy to move it when climbing in/out/moving around such that it does click. The wheels don't have to be straight, I've not played with mine to see if the wheel has to be the right way up or if the lock will click in at 90 or 180 degrees etc... But no matter a waggle will free it so it does appear to be a lock failure, tried a few gentle taps? Might free the stuck pin(s).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Any half decent hardware store will have it, comes in little bottles with a nozzle.

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

How do I remove the lock? Does it not have to be drilled out?

-- Keith (London, UK) Land Rover Discovery 300TDI Triumph Sprint Executive

Reply to
Keith Wilkinson

On or around Fri, 25 Nov 2005 11:21:48 +1000, "Karen Gallagher" enlightened us thusly:

yeah, I got one. 's handy.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Well the steering lock was not clicked but it is now after waggling it! Steering wheel upside down and wheels about 20 degrees from straight ahead but the key will still not turn. I'll see if I can get hold of some graphite. Rubbing a pencil on the key does not seem to have any effect.

-- Keith (London, UK) Land Rover Discovery 300TDI Triumph Sprint Executive

Reply to
Keith Wilkinson

No, it's depressingly easy.

From memory (and it's been a while) you undo the thumbwheels on the plastic cowling and remove it.

You then need a small chisel (or sacrificial small screwdriver) and small hammer. Use this to loosen off the bolts (2 or 4, I forget). You can put the bolts back in the same way if you are careful, or buy new ones for a couple of quid (the hex heads snap off when you tighten them).

Then the lock will fall into your hand. You can now remove the electrical switch from the left hand end and your screwdriver will start the car.

There is no obvious way to open the lock barrel itself, but my locksmith clearly knew how.

I drove mine like this for weeks!!!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

It's not too difficult. I was at a customers diesel pump in a freight yard at 5pm on a Friday evening getting fueled up for a trip to South Africa (can't get fule at filling stations here in Zimbabwe!). Only person around was the security guard. Went to restart the car, lock jammed!

Phoned wife, asked her to bring tools and my Haynes manual. While getting everything together, she managed to lock her keys in the flat!!! Luckily a neighbour with a fishing rod hooked them out through a window! Anyway, once she got there with tools, it took about 30 minutes to get the lock off. Easier with steering wheel off to get access, but essentially, unbolt all the covers round the steering column. I seem to remember having to unbolt the stalk controls as well. Then there are two bolts with no heads (the bolt heads are designed to break off when the lock is fitted). Get a cold chisel, and you will be tap the old bolts undone. Then lock separates, and you will be able to remove it easily. On one end is the switch mechanism - remove it, insert screwdriver and start car!

If you need more info, I can get the book out and send you more details.

Cheers! Graham Carter

Reply to
Graham Carter

Before you go ripping the lock to bits, try this...........

Get a decent length punch, and a hammer, and while someone tries to turn the key (not a steady pressure, but wiggling it about in both directions) Put the end of the punch against the lock barrel, and rap it smartly on the end with the hammer, using very rapid moderately heavy blows. Not hard enough to break anything, but hard enough the shake the contents of the barrel about until it all drops in place.

I have had 100% success rate by that method.

Reply to
SimonJ

I had a key break in the barrel of my 200TDI when I was working in Tanzania. No spare key! so.. remove the plastic cowling, find the bolts that hold the lock mech.. cut a slot in the bolts using a junior hacksaw blade, then use a flat screwdriver to remove the bolts. Sent a Local in search of a new mech.. $50 and an hour later he comes back with a brand new part.. Dont know where he got it from.. it came with new bolts, the heads shear off when tightened.

:) Robin

Reply to
Robin

Thanks for that. I'll try this before doing anything more drastic.