OT : Multi-region DVD /HD recorder wanted...

Anyone know anything about these? I'm looking to buy a mid-range-ish (cheaper the better, but not at the expense of being crap!) DVD recorder with HDD for recording TV (Sky) onto and maybe input from a camcorder to DVD. I need it to be multi-region, but most of the hacks seem to require me to spend 30/40 quid on a fancy remote control, which I object to since it is only going to get used once!

Any make/model/supplier suggestions welcome..

Cheers,

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Lidl have a unit like that next week, but I don't know about it being multi-region.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Just about all the DVD players on sale everywhere in the UK are multi-region these days.

As far as I can tell nobody outside the USA bothers any more.

You may find there's some sort of lock on your computer DVD player if you change the region more than half a dozen times. But as Ebuyer will sell you a replacement for a tenner it's not that big an issue...

Reply to
William Black

Yes, but we're in France. It's probably the same though.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

All the ones I seem to find over here are Region 2 only (I often have to open them up to read the instructions or check the box carefully).

Amazon only sell R2 ones, but do provide the hack (if possible) to make it multi-region - tho as I mentioned it generally requires getting one of those fancy remotes.

I think many of the unbranded ones come as multi-region, but I'd prefer a branded one as we have a cheapo one in the bedroom and it refuses to play some DVD's and others sometimes play a bit 'jumpy' - not to mention when playing certain DVD's it vibrates like a washing machine! Whereas the Panasonic one downstairs plays everything fine - but isn't multi-region!

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

"Matthew Maddock" wrote in message news:OHi4i.151$ snipped-for-privacy@nntpserver.swip.net...

I got my first one from Richer Sounds years ago and they passed out a sheet with the hack printed on it.

It died after a couple of years.

I bought two from Currys when they were some sort of ridiculous price on a special offer of some sort. Both multi region 'no name' and work perfectly well with just about everything, including my home made MP3 disks.

Reply to
William Black

All the DVD players I've ever owned you can just google the information up, it's usually just some keypresses on the normal remote to either get into a service menu, or to just turn off region checking.

Sonys are a PITA or they used to be, Sony are a goose-stepping bunch.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I am informed that it's to do with how big their US market is.

Apparently in the US it is considered to be some sort of serious crime to sell a multi-region player...

Reply to
William Black

Ah yes, the land of the free ;-)

They are still a bunch of over-zealous copyright freaks though, e.g. their rootkit-infected music CDs that infected your PC with DRM software if you put it in (if running Windows with auto-run enabled, the default). Also their minidisc players stopped you making more than one copy of a disc even if you'd made the recording yourself, caught me out with some voicenotes I made on a portable minidisc recorder. Basically everything they make they normally go a few steps further than they need to when it comes to protecting the plainly bankrupt movie and music industry...

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

"Matthew Maddock" wrote in message news:N_g4i.119$ snipped-for-privacy@nntpserver.swip.net...

have a squint at

for the region hacks for DVD's most are stupidly easy to do .Derek

Reply to
Derek

OK there is a program called DVDdecrypter which will copy ANY format, strip it of encryption and removes the reigeon info. Have a google or else if I get time I could email it to you.

Reply to
Simon Cochran

That's not what this thread's about, this is DVD players and recorders, beside I run linux not windows so it won't work on mine.. Cheers anyway ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings