OT: Windoze mirror software?

Those who know me will acknowledge my love, and in in-depth knowledge of Windoze... :-)

One of my customers needs to actively mirror her data drive (a seperate 'drive d:' on her PC which only stores data) to a mapped drive on another machine. The mapped drive simply shows as 'drive f:' on her machine and again, is dedicated to the task of keeping a complete copy of her data from drive d: - but she has to do it manually. Lots of different files on her d: drive change on a fairly regular basis (these are generally measurements added to a couple of spreadsheets, but also graphics files and data from a digital camera).

I know there are numerous active mirror software progs floating around, but thought I'd ask here for details of anything people currently use. It has to be pretty idiot proof (not that she's an idiot) and ideally work in 'real time'. She doesn't mind paying for a prog to do this, but obviously anything in the GPL, shareware or freeware category would be nicer :-)

Both boxes are running Win2K (yeuk).

Anyone?

Reply to
Mother

In the writings of Mother, the scrolls contained these prophetic words:

Have a look at Windows backup, it's not pretty but it certainly does the job.

You usually find it under:

Start - Program files - accessories - system tools

It's called Backup, or you can use CLI based WinRAR and do a refresh on a specific archive by calling a batch file.

This is the method I use but I drag, drop and forget it till it's finished.... Which can take a while when you are backing up 10Gb> photographs/data...

WinRAR is the best archiver when it comes to Image formats, although you still only looking at a saving of probably 2-3k per image depending how well they have been compressed before... You can find it here...

Basically I keep 2 copies of the RAR file, one on the work machine which is the one I update and then copy this across the LAN to the backup machine. I split My Docs into 3 main folders:

Archive Photo WIP

Archive is files although not being worked on are templates/data that I need regular access to. Photo is self explanatory and finally WIP is the folder that contains work in progress data and this is the one I back up nightly. I try to keep the folders size to around 700Mb so it can burned on to CD-R if need be.

HTH.

Reply to
Faolan

Im sure that at some point in the last year someone asked exactly the same question as this. I think it may have been Tim who was after keeping mirrored copies of either photos or music on 2 different computers at the same time.

I think they found some software which did the job, but i can't rember its name. I wanted to find it a few months ago myself but couldnt.

I've been searching but i cant find owt. Hopefully the newsreader that youre using has better search functions than free agent.

Reply to
Tom Woods

You could always use Briefcase, its already on your computer (Windoze). Its easy to use.

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel

In the writings of Tom Woods, the scrolls contained these prophetic words:

If free agent doesn't help you can always try Google...

Faolan

P'raps I should clarify...

The need is for 'mirroring software' that works in real time. In other words, as a file is saved on one drive, it is seamlessly and invisibly (to the user) updated on the remote drive. Pretty much how you would expect RAID to work.

Backup, archiving and 'briefcase' software are all different and while I dare say quite good at what they do, they do not 'mirror'.

Reply to
Mother

We have a great prog to do this called RepliStor. It's a real-time asynchronous mirroring engine. It would be about £2500 per machine. Let me know if she's interested...

David

Reply to
David French

Oh, I forgot to mention, you'd get a reseller discount.

But I recall playing with something called Second Copy a while back. It seemed quite neat but I can't remember whether it was realtime or scheduled, but I think it has some realtimeish characteristics.

for details. HTH David

Reply to
David French

In the writings of Mother, the scrolls contained these prophetic words:

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I found this link which may be of interest:

The downside of using it is setting up a secure FTP server another cost to factor in.

Whilst it's designed for photographers it should work with any file. It's not precisely what you looking for as you have to drag the file to a watched folder but it's near real time... You may also be able to make your working folder a watched folder. I have not used this software so I can't really comment on it.

Reply to
Faolan