Reversing Sensors installation ???

Have just purchased a set of reversing sensors....and would like some advise on installing them ...

It is probably a little too technicle for me to do myself, so was wondering if I should take it to an Auto electrician, or wether a Land Rover dealer would be more appropriate ???

cheers, Brian C

Reply to
Hi-Soft

Really quite easy to fit yourself, I did my 110, my jaguar and my wifes saab. an auto electrician will certainly be cheaper than Land Rover. if you are in devon/cornwall I'll do it for ye.

-- Mark.

"nec aspera terrent"

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

Thanks Mark...I'd take you up on your offer...but I'm in Melbourne...Australia :)

Yeah I was thinking an auto electrician...but then thought they may not know their way around the bits & peices of an Land Rover not being a local car...though they are fairly popular down here..

Got any advice on the fitting ?

Like...did you put 2 or 4 in the rear bumper ? My kit has 4, and I was trying to work out the best place to fit them into the bumper ( of my Discovery ).

Also, did you fit the little screen ( if yours has that ) in front on the dash or in the back..like about the rear interior brake light on the door ???

Reply to
Hi-Soft

I'll do it if you pay my travel costs :oD

I fitted 4 sensors, outer 2 at the corners, inner 2 evenly spaced. if you have a step or towing gear space the sensors around them so that the sensors don't 'see' them.

run the wires up through the floor in one corner and connect to the control box inside the pillar trim, here you can also tap an earth and reversing light feed.

I fitted the display to the rear view mirror (my displays fit there nicely and block very little mirror, handy for looking in the mirror at the same time). and the wire is run behind the headlining to the rear of the vehicle and down the rear pillar trim to the control box.

Some kits have only a buzzer which is ok in the back with the control box.

some kits have a quite large display which could fit next-to the rear view mirror or on the dash itself with the wires going up behind the front pillar trim.

fixing the display in the back of the car will make it too awkward to see i expect, depending ehat info it shows. mine shows distance in numbers and indicates which sensor it refers to (the closest one to an obstruction). it also beeps and flashes as i get x distance to the object, you can work on beeps alone but for close manouvering i like more information.

the longest part of the process is removing and replacing all the trim properly, and setting the holes in the bumper proper and neat.

Only tools i used was a drill to make the holes in the bumper and a hole-saw-bit. A gas soldering iron for tapping into the feed to the reversing lamp (you could use simpler methods). and screwdrivers.

-- Mark.

"nec aspera terrent"

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

I'll continue the bidding. I'll do it if you pay my (significantly lower) travelling costs ex-Auckland. :-)

Reply to
EMB

Great...thanks for the info Mark...it helps me heaps... I guess getting the wire behind the headling was the biggest issue for me...wasn't really sure how to do that...but I'll have a look through my workshop manual for detail...and se how I go...

and...yeah...we'd all like a trip to each other countries....there should be some sort of holoday exchance idea going on here :)

cheers, Brian C

Reply to
Hi-Soft