Rocking horse droppings found!! 101 Ambi rear door locks/handle

Some of you may remember a while ago I was having a mare trying to source a lock for my 101 Ambi's rear door.... Well to cut a long story short I've now got a supplier lined up for the lock :-)

Now my handle is knackered in so much as I can't get the barrell out ..well I can but I've had to cause some damage to the barrel to do so as the locating pin is siezed solid after 25 plus years of doing nowt.

So Who if anyone would be interested in having a new handle or lock barrel or both?

I'm asking as the supplier is quizzing for numbers for supplying a batch. I've got my new one sat here now so I'm purely hoping that if theres sufficient interest that Darren from the 101 club parts section may get a batch for all you other guys running with Hasp and staple shed locks.

The only difference with this handle according to the supplier is it doesn't have "Pull" engraved on to it...but then neither did the one on Morph.

Please let me know...also posted on the Yahoo group.

I've no idea as to prices yet as I'm waiting for the chap to get back to me on Monday but obviously the more interest the cheaper they will be.

Regards

Lee D

-- Project Percy - Jaguar 4.2 and Auto in to Series IIa 88 see it @

101Ambi '76 / IIa - Percy '64 / Rangie TD '90

alt.fan.landrover hall of fame -

Lee_D

hi lee

yes very interested here

--

101 Ambie - Gemma 101 GS - Tommy
Kay

Cheers Kay noted, will keep you posted, thats 3 people thus far look'in good hopefully the prices will be realistic as they sell them as an off the shelf item rather than as rocking horse doo doo...

anyone else interested please let me know.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

They can't be that rare, there's about 100 of them where I work. All attached to the emergency exit doors of buses.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Now thats not what I call a timely enterance, that would have been really useful to know about 6 months ago, but yes your correct, now I've found a supplier they have gone from rare to available. The remaining issue now being the price and ensuring they remain available.

You don't happen to have a steering column for a centre steer going spare do you ? My Centre steers got a little play in it.

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 11:34:09 +0100, "Lee_D"

made me spill my meths by writing:

There is the bloke on Ebay optimistically suggesting his seat cushions just might.... >just< might be from a centre steer. He might be able to rustle some up :)

Reply to
Wayne Davies

Hmm. Admittedly they only seem to surface on a limited number of buses nowadays, I suspect new supplies are a little harder to find, the bus manufacturers obviously buy them in bulk, finding the odd one or two won't be so easy. The ones we have are lockless on our buses, and the coaches which do have locks are a completely different type. If I needed to track one down I'd be looking around classic bus fairs, rather than at landrover ones.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 16:14:21 +0100, Alex made me spill my meths by writing:

These days there seems to be a much better representation for old commercial vehicles and the like, there are a few enthusiasts magazines out there now that may have sources, or who would print a request for help.

All the best

Reply to
Wayne Davies

Get a price, if it's 'right' I'll take a dozen.

I did this with the 'closed cell foam strip' that's used to seal the rear body panels on a 101 GS some time ago so we could get a good deal on the price when some came up. I kept it and let it go, roll by roll over the last couple of years (for what I paid for it). I'm sure that there will be damand for ambi handles, so I'd be prepared to do the same here.

By the way, of the 12 odd surplus rolls of closed cell foam, I only have the one left, and that's marked for my own GS, sorry :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Price reapplied for , for a batch of 15 inc your interest Martyn. That way I guess you's have a running start.

Can't believe how hard it is getting a price out of a company for supply.

I wait with baited breath...... (I've just had a bag of crisps you see!)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Let me know by email, or give me a call. I may be able to order them directly and subsidise the VAT (need to talk to the Accountant there...)

I can. Seems to me that sometimes suppliers simply can't be bothered to sell their stock. I asked for a price on 20 Engel fridges a while back (don't ask) and it took me 6 weeks to get a price I was happy with and a guarantee that the supplier could actually deliver such a 'large' (?) order.

I hope Mrs D insists upon a good brushing (wire brush and Detol usually does the trick when I've been on the Scampie Fries...) :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

How's it going with these? I hope you arnt paying too much for them :)

As I've told Lee..

At the Trentham show i bought a new ambi rear door handle for £3 (all shiney and chromed and with lock and 2 keys!). If i hadnt been quickly running off with my bargain (which i'm sure was wrongly priced) I would have checked to see if they had any more. Sorry. Will do next time!

I can snap a pic and see if i can find a makers name on it tommorrow if you like.

The stall i bought it from didnt have a name sign, or give a reciept, but i recognised them from Billing, so if anyone has a billing program/map lying about (and can scan it in).. or even a trentham one, I can pick them out on it for you, and perhaps we can get a name and contact them.

They had a nondescript stall with a plain white canvas. It has 2 sections, or has a pole in the middle i think.. They sell lots of exciting and useful electrical bits mainly, including spotlights and nifty little fuseboxes. They also have a tray full of 24V guages of all descriptions. They had lots of handles and useful fixings too.

Was being staffed at trentham by a man and a woman.

Does this ring any bells for anyone? At billing they were down towards the LRE tent (at 90 degrees to it), and at Trentham they were close to the staffordshire rescue stall, and sort of opposite and down a bit from the noisy in car entertainment place.

Reply to
Tom Woods

OK, these chaps aren't too hot on email, however I now have 2 catalogues arrived in todays post which give there full range of locks handels and mechanisims. There are also a couple of telephone numbers for me to follow up come Monday.

In the meantime this catalogue lists all the bits and bobs but again no prices . I've absolutely nowt to gain by setting up a line of communication hopefully between the club and the supplier other than I may get a second lock slightly cheaper for my side door conversion if there is a reduction on bulk orders. I was toying with buying a batch but really don't have the spare reddies to shell out, Martyn however has flagged up an interest in doing likewise in the intrests of longevity of the 101 fleet. So even if the club aren't interested then there remains a ray of hope I am however opptomistic that the club should take up this opportunity. I don't know many Ambi Owners who got a key with there back door handle. A also beleive that the Vampires have the same handel on there side doors from the photos I've seen.

And yes you were a jammey git getting one for £3 ..h'mmmm lovely shinney lock , nice keys. Chrome on a 101 who'd ever believe it...but then Morphs is still chrome but rather pitted and slighly tarnished by the ravages of time. I'd be gobsmacked if the price for yours was correct.

The Company that used to produce them are Overton which should be stamped into your origional lock. The new lock barrels have Yale in but are machined and modified to accept the cam assembly. The Origional company Wilfred Overton England Ltd is no longer trading but were bought out a few years back....Now look! You'll have me counting rivets next!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I made a key to fit mine, and it works fine, thank you

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Alex.....on this occasion you have failed to dissappoint me , I am rendered speechless which is as well really as I don't have any voice software.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

"Lee_D"

Reply to
Lee_D

"Lee_D"

Whoops!

OK for those genuinely interested in these locks I've scanned the catalogue pages tonight which I got earlier in the post. As I said I'll call them by phone Monday and try and get some prices. Could interested parties lest me know please by email what it is you want.

a) lock only (if possible) & Keys b) Handel, Lock and Keys c) Handel with the dust cover (keep out the frost), Lock and Keys

The catalogue can be looked at by selecting the following link , it's a pdf adobe doc so should be accessable to most... If you haven't got adobe I can mime it for you..... ;-)

regards,

Lee Davies

-- Project Percy - Jaguar 4.2 and Auto in to Series IIa 88 see it @

101Ambi '76 / IIa - Percy '64 / Rangie TD '90

alt.fan.landrover hall of fame -

Lee_D

Eh?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I've just had a look, and I have seen practically all of these components in one shape or form at my Bus Depot, attached to various different models of buses.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Indeed, watch the missing locks on Buses go to epidemic proportions now :-)

I like the ones that can be operated by solinoid...now that would be nice on the lockers for added security.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D