series IIa restoration help

Hi! - lurk here often, even asked a couple of questions! I have a new project, a '71 SWB petrol IIa in bits... My 3rd LR so not a newbie, previous owner started dismantling it and I've inherited her in boxes...

Any ideas for cleaning dirty engine bits? I'm sharing a workshop with a guy who's restoring a boat, so I'd like to avoid petrol/paraffin etc. can't use a powerjet inside nor Gunk for the same reason, but can use my dishwasher at home - I'm divorced (and no, that was not the reason why!) I'd love a bead blaster box but my priorities are on spares for the IIa for the moment. Malt vinegar sort of thing - it works for epoxy resin - anything, other ideas?

Engine (petrol) has pretty much been dismantled - crankcase, pistons and valves left together, head and tappets off, as well as anything that was in reach - do I have to completely dismantle to find out if there is something wrong/broken or could I crank it over sort of thing, to check that there is nothing broken i.e. conrods etc. (Only done 90k kilometres). From what I've sorted out, it's only missing a petrol pump - no big deal - but I shall have to order a full set of gaskets/seals for all the engine ancillaries (sp?) Richard/Beamends?

Lastly - for the moment - rear leaf springs, the clips/staples (not the U bolts) that hold them together are slightly open... not as bad as some pics I've seen. Do they need to be replaced or are they still good for some mileage yet? Do I just wire brush the things (surface rust) and paint on Waxoyl or will that make a grinding paste and wear them out?

TIA

antoine

Reply to
...erratic

STC1567 Top End Set - 2.25 Petrol - Series STC1556 Bottom End Set - 2¼ Petrol - Series II/III

We don't do mail order any more, but they should be readily available.

Wire brushing is a Good Thing, Waxoyling them is, as you say, grinding paste territory. Some say oiling is good, personaly I reckon that's just a milder griding paste. You could dismantle the springs, clean up, and re-build if the urge takes you. Personaly I reckon simply using the vehicle, with a load to make the springs "work" is the best bet.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Thanks for the pointers (ref. n=B0's) Richard, I now know what to order, I do know where I can order that sort of item here (Switzerland), just thought that asking in a British NG, could keep things, ermmm... British??!!

Thanks!

antoine

Reply to
...erratic

Brick cleaner works well on rusty bits.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

MM4x4 seem quite organised.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Hi Antoine,

Whereabouts in Switzerland are you? I've just moved to Buchs in St. Gallen.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Hi Stuart, Not quite in your neck of the woods - although CH is small! - I'm in Neuch=E2tel, french-speaking part.

Antoine

Reply to
...erratic

On Tyne, under Lyme or Co Down?

Reply to
GbH

:))) still haven't found any brown here!!

Reply to
...erratic

Memo to rattic, must try harder!

Reply to
GbH

Thanks for the answers.

I've done some work on the engine now and think I'm looking at having to get a replacement... So the question is, 2nd hand engine? Recon engine with unleaded head? About how much will that cost (I'm working on a tight budget)? Who is a reputable place to get them from?

TIA

Antoine

Reply to
...erratic

I can't see the need to rush out and buy an unleaded head, at the mileage that most people use a Series these days they will never need one. It takes a long time for unleaded fuel to have any effect, why not wait until it's knackered before you replace the seats or the head?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Well the engine won't turn over - haven't got far enough into it - but it looks to be the valve camshaft that's broken, head's off and one of the exhaust valves is burnt as well as a holed valve pusher (the brass bit). The idea being exchange for another engine while I rebuild the original, if it is worth saving... So either 2nd hand or a reconditioned engine and if I get a recon might as well get an unleaded head. I had an MGB and I know this was done. So where to find a recon? and approximately how much? I can find a 2nd hand engine here, but then I wouldn't know the state of its insides.

Antoine

Reply to
...erratic