Stick through the radiator then "quick" fix?

A stick punctured the front radiator panel while off roading (I wasn't driving...). Antifreeze was dribbling out, so I went for a quick fix, stripping out the VVVVV-shaped foil above and below the ripped flat tube, then curling each end back on itself and crimping it with pliers. (I hope this doesn't block the whole radiator) I drove back and didn't seem to lose any more antifreeze and temp guage showed normal. Could this "quick fix" be permanent?

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

Guy Lux composed the following;:

Depends if it starts to leak again .. ;)

Yes, one or even quite a few 'blockages', are normal in even new radiators.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

The same "quick fix" worked for me on my 1978 Jag XJ6 Coupe - for 7 years!! (Well, have you ever priced a Jag radiator?) Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Good to know Badger, I'll see what happens.... Was worried the whole rad would be blocked.

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

Nah, but I'll bet you a percentage of the cores are "blocked" unintentionally during the manufacturing process by excess solder anyway. If the temp gauge is ok, don't worry about it - just keep an eye on it for leaks developing. Badger.

Reply to
Badger