Stripped thread

I'm in the process of replacing the clutch slave cylinder on my SIII

2.25 petrol and fund that someone has stripped the top mounting thread in the bell housing. They've attempted to glue the bolt in with some epoxy stuff but the bolt was loose so it obviously hadn't worked and has been relying on the bottom bolt alone.

Any suggestions how to proceede?, it looks practically impossible to fit a helicoil without removing the engine 8-(. Greg

Reply to
Greg

I am trying to visualise it - is it possible to insert a bolt from the inside via the hole for the slave cylinder (drilling the hole if necessary but preferably engaged in the remains of the thread) and gluing it with studlok to keep it from turning, and use a nut on it. Might be an idea to slot the end of the bolt for a screwdriver just in case!

JD

Reply to
JD

I believe i rammed a replacement bolt in of a slightly different size and thread (hoping it would self re-tap the hole to some extent) which was covered in threadlock. Still holding a few years later (and i hope it never goes!)

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

Put a slight flat on the first three or four threads, and it will tap properly.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

IIRC The hole is quite deep and if you clean out the hole with a finishing tap (5/16" U.N.C) you can just use a longer bolt.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Yes I've just drilled it right through and tapped it as deep as the tap will go, I didn't think I could manage to get at it but a small air drill just fitted in and I tapped it with an air ratchet!. Thanks everyone for the ideas. Greg

Reply to
Greg