Water pump + hoses life span?

After a disastrous engine failure due to overheating, a brand new diesel engine with a reconditioned cylinder-head has been fitted to my 110 TD5. The year 2000 model has done 165.000 km (17.000 with me).

The LR workshop has replaced all hoses (they looked perfectly ok to me, but I authorised it anyway), saying "they are going and need to be replaced", and the faultless water-pump (not authorised), because "a new engine must have a new pump". By the way, the thermostat is also new (not authorised) and the radiator has been recored (so they say).

I am querying the replacements of the hoses and the pump for two reasons. Firstly I belief that 4 years and 165.000 km's are no age for the hoses and the pump to warrant replacement. They should be ok for much longer. Secondly I suspect that the dealership simply wants to make sure (on my cost), that they will not be called upon during the guarantee period of one year.

I am not a Rockefeller and the bill is more than half of what I paid for the LR six month ago. I need to keep it down.

What are your thoughts? Thank you in advance for your valued input.

Reply to
Uli

That's over 100,000 miles, I would expect the hoses and pump to last longer but if I was fitting a new engine I'd also fit a new water pump and examine the hoses very carefully, would probably replace them all depending on cost and budget. In my personal opinion etc etc etc.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

I'd have the hoses done too. The water pump should've been OK, but LR had a very dodgy batch of Discovery pumps - not that they admitted to it but I got through 3 in 6 months, the latest has lasted over 50k miles now though. Don't know if the 110 is the same pump or not. I think in view of the iffy batch I'd have kept the old water pump but under normal circumstances it's not a bad idea to change it, they're not that expensive. However, do keep an eye out, the symptoms I got were a rattle at high revs only for a few miles then catastrophic failure of the pump with overheating and coolant loss. The coolant loss can be so sudden however, that you don't get the overheating showing on the gauge and driving any distance at all ( and I mean only a few tens of yards) will lunch the engine again.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

It all seems sensible to me I'm afraid. The engine must have overheated for a reason. Given the cost of the engine, replacing the rest of the cooling system at the same time would seem reasonable.

Reply to
Andy Warner

Hmm, if an engine got noshed due to a problem with the cooling system, putting the same cooling system on a new engine could be asking for trouble ;-)

If you've managed to track down exactly what the original cooling problem was about, then fine, however if it's still not certain why the cooling system failed then personally I'd try to cut my losses and replace as much of it as possible.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

As a professional mechanic I won't warranty any replacement engine without replacing the thermostat, rad cap, water pump and hoses, and also having the radiator recored (or cleaned with the tanks removed if the core is newish). I think the work done on yours was entirely fair if you expect any sort of warranty on the job that has been done.

Reply to
EMB

Ok guys - thank you very much for your input, I do have a better feeling about this matter now. I trust your opinion a lot more then what I am told by the people who see me as a cash cow. Have a good Sunday. Uli

Reply to
Uli

Keep the old bits and flog 'em on eBay to get something back?

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware