What's With NFU?

Used to be the insurer of choice for LR owners. My renewal hiked my premium to over £750 for Defender - LV= (Liverpool Victoria) less than half that. Similar story with my motorhome NFU £450, Axa £350

Have they decided to get out of motor insurance?

Reply to
hugh

Most insurance co's are hiking renewal quotes quite dramatically, they've always done it but not quite so obviously as recent years. I suspect they are getting lumbered with paying out on policies that banks took out against bad debt...

Don't forget you may well be getting a hefty "new cumstomer" discount from other companies, so beware next year... and of course ensuring you have similar (same) cover can be hard work, don't believe marketing puff, read the policy.

Personally I've never found NFU competative for my DII.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Most insurance co's are hiking renewal quotes quite dramatically, they've always done it but not quite so obviously as recent years. I suspect they are getting lumbered with paying out on policies that banks took out against bad debt...

Don't forget you may well be getting a hefty "new cumstomer" discount from other companies, so beware next year... and of course ensuring you have similar (same) cover can be hard work, don't believe marketing puff, read the policy.

Personally I've never found NFU competative for my DII.

Reply to
DieSea

1000 yards? That's a good long straight, just over half a mile. B-)
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's the blind driving the tractors on the blind bends ;-))

This year they've only just started trimming the hedges

Right tooth fairy calls , I'm off ;-((

Reply to
DieSea

You're not joking!! Bloody nightmare ploughing through it all - and they insist on having all our details before you can get a basic quote.

I was with Norwich Union for years but then they went up and I switched to NFU who were cheaper esp for a 17 year old who had just passed his test and wanted to drive a 2.25 litre "Rover" !!!!!

Reply to
hugh

I know, NFU cover for my hybrid went up from £85 last year to a whopping £114 this year!

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

They did thee same to me, my vehicle insurance went up by a third and my house contents insurance nearly doubled. Funnily enough the building insurance increased moderately. My new insurers new customers discount was clearly stated at 10%. So I know I got a much better deal elsewhere. It is a pity, I liked NFU, they were always good on the phone and fully dealt with any issues quickly. Paul

Reply to
PM

In article , PM writes

So who did you go with?

We're with NFU for the next six months, but one reason is that the Landy gains us a really good discount on the other vehicle (people carrier). I've had major company quotes of *almost* double the NFU one for the Alhambra on its own. So I'm going to be looking around if the NFU are getting really expensive, although I fully support the mutuality aspect., and it will be a shame if we have to move.

S.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

In message , SpamTrapSeeSig writes

I went with LV= for the Defender and AXA via Caravan Club for the motor home.

Reply to
hugh

Well my Defender is now 15 years old and I do less than 10,000 miles a year ( a lot less, more like 5,000) so I shall see what 'classic insurance' costs.

Anyone know?

Reply to
William Black

Just renewed my 21 year old Discovery.

Cost me £165.55 with via Sureterm Direct for 4000 miles comprehensive. Would have been a couple of pounds less for similar cover with Adrian Flux but I liked the lower excess on windscreen with Sureterm, plus I've been with them for a year and its marginally easier to renew than start afresh.

No claims for donkey's years so max bonus.

Worth getting quotes from both.

Good luck

Reply to
Martin Beenham

Thanks, it's not due for renewal until spring next year, maybe the NFU will have got back to normal by then...

Reply to
William Black

Saga

Ahem...

Reply to
PM

Ditto - thanks from here too. Thread archived for reviewing in six months time...

S.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

I nearly went into cardiac arrest when the NFU renewal came through this year - from 580 last year, to 1365 this!!! A quick call to make sure they hadn't confused me with someone who had been in many accidents (only one in the last 3 years and that was a vandalism related claim which resulted in a total loss).

Jamie at 4counties is now my bestest friend!!! fully comp, 22K annual, business use =A3485 including legal cover and all the whatnots. and thats on my 1996 disco.

Reply to
GrnOval

They are obviously trying to get rid of us !

76% increase on mine !!!!! When quized reason given too much fraud in the area by " profecional people " ( I live in a farming area ???) So I went with John Lewis , has good reviews and Which! recomend. Like for Like + Excess protection was (cheeper than original NFU.) £346 (monthly payment) Fully comp + protected NC + protected excess Legal protection+ hire car+£500 personal efects +£500 audio(£1000 if original equip) only down side is a £20 charge if you change vehicle. one claim for theft in 2007

John

Reply to
Long tall ugly

Mine potentialy went from 240+ to well over 600 earlier this year, and that was only TPFT!!!

I changed to another company, now got fully comp, all mod's declared etc, and volunteer work, for about the same as I was paying for TPFT.

We will of course see what happens next year....

There has been a recent agreement, between the insurance "industry" and HMGovernment. That, they will no longer charge for "commercial use", if it is needed purely for volunteer work (Response working etc.)

Look at:-

to Volunteer England website, via link preview.) But, it's only the ABI that have signed up for that, and not all insurers are members of the ABI.

Regards.

Dave B.

Reply to
Dave Baxter

Just taken out a classic policy (fully comp, 5000m, agreed value, legal cover included, £200 excess) on my 1985 110 V8 with Heritage

for £160. Been with NFU for years - £201 last year, £406 this year! And that's after they've taken £42 "mutual bonus" off, FFS! No changes at all in vehicle or me, so why?

Adrian Flux was £225 and Lancaster £200.

Footman James was £125 - no mileage limit and £50 excess. Seemed too good to be true, which put me off, but that's probably just me being stupid.

Bloke I spoke to at Heritage referred to the vehicle as a "Landy" and knew what I was talking about when discussing modifications.

Andy Fox

Reply to
Andy Fox

Just checked with them and it's over £600, NFU is just over £300

Reply to
Bill