Anyone for traction control?

I'm interested in the experiences of others with traction control on loose surfaces (sand in particular).

I have a Vauxhall Zafira with traction control - not something I particularly wanted to have (RWD and limited slip diff would be my choice.....), especially as there's no override switch. On ice and what little snow there was last winter it was generally useful.

However, this summer was caught out by the traction control while driving along a beach (this was in Ireland - the car park was the beach............). The problem was that the traction control stopped the wheels spinning, which prevented the wheels cutting through the inch or two of soft sand to the firmer sand underneath. There I was sitting with my foot on the accelerator and the front of the car was shaking away as the traction control cut in and out rapidly. I had no problem getting started with a good old human-powered push. But it seemed to me that the traction control had effectively stopped the car from moving in the first place!!

Anyone had a similar experience? I'm particularly interested to hear from someone who has turned the traction control off and found the going was better without it (or worse!). I'd also be interested to hear if it's possible to fit an override switch - Vauxhall have not replied to my questions so far.

I'm wondering if I'd have the same problem on "the wrong kind of snow" (i.e. soft powdery variety)!

Reply to
Alan Shilling

In message , Alan Shilling writes

Last winter I had to turn the traction control off on my Focus in town. I couldn't get the car moving from a standstill in the snow without being able to spin the wheels a little. I would switch it off when I stopped at the lights etc and turn it on again once I was moving.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Are you sure you have no over ride switch? I am not familiar with the Zaffira, but my Omega has an over ride/off switch which makes it fun to drive.

Dave

Reply to
Funkyman

A switch to defeat TC is very useful - recent example was on snow where it is very useful to be able to accelerate the spining wheel ( torque allows the non-lsd to drive the other wheel ). Dont think I would have rocked it out of the rut with TC engaged. My car is rwd non-lsd.

Steve

Reply to
sro

dont road vehcles have wheel creep system...?? where teh available tractive effort actually increases when the wheels are allowed to spin slightly above the actual speed of the vehicle, speed is calculated from a doppler rader aboard the car...

My thinkikng is this would allow the surface conditioning, to enable the car to get underway

Reply to
Tom Burton