Bolts for engine mount mk4 golf

I picked up the new engine mount this morning for the passenger side at GSF the guy on the desk is an ex vw mechanic and he said the bolts on the mount are one time use only so I would have to order new bolts from vw before I fit it ?

Is this right ? or would it be ok to use the old bolts. If not whats the reason ? didn;t get a chance to ask as there was a big que behind me.

Vw quoted me for the bolts at £20.95 for all of them. wowser!!

Reply to
Peter smith

Certainly the bolts at the cambelt end are stretch bolts and should only be used once. There have been a few occurrences of them dropping out or shearing otherwise, with disasterous results. I'm not sure about the gearbox (passenger for RHD) end. Personally, I'd get them.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I think the error on the side of caution I'll give the parts bods at vw a call for them.

Top man chris

Reply to
Peter smith

It varies, but most VW one use bolts have threadlok compound on them, if= =

they're not angle tightened then just clean the oldones & apply thread =

lock, not studlock. If they're 3 stage angle tightened stretch bolts then buy new ones.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

That seems very strange for something like an engine mount. Usually only on highly stressed things where weight/size matters.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

not un-common, renault engine mountings are the same.

Reply to
reg

Bollocks. There's no reason something like an engine mounting bolt needs to be replaced every time it's used. Another bloody con to extract more money out of you.

Reply to
Dave Baker

What's the tightening torque?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I didn't bother, the bolts were in good nick, torqued them up again, no problems.

Zimmy

Mine was the cam belt side BTW, the gearbox side might be different.

Zimmy