Breather Problems

Hi

I have a 1.7D corsa (curser) S-plate ( ok ok I know)

There is a short length of pipe going from the top of the rocker cover to the air inlet manifold....

Recently when we had the head stripped down, (for various sundry reasons which I wont entertain you with just now... Maybe I will later..) the inlet manifold was all gummed up with crappy oil deposits, really gummed up, 5ltrs of degreaser and £5 in tescos jet wash still left some of it....

The source of the crap seemed to be the breather...

Now its reassembled the idea of plugging up the inlet manifold and affixing a length of clear tubing ( so I can see when it gets clogged) to the top of the rocker cover, and venting it at the bottom of the engine/into a bottle of oil-trap-thingy....

However would this upset the engine.... I'm thinking is there a need for the vacuum created by the inlet manifold....

The rocker box seems to have a positive pressure anyway?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Does your engine use much oil? The usual reason for breathers venting into the inlet manifold is to burn away the fumes - greener. But if there's a lot of unburnt oil being breathed out then maybe you need to do something about that. The likely cause of excess crankcase pressure (which is where your fumes are coming from) is worn rings.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Have you checked the breather from the bottom of the engine isn't blocked.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Not excessive, maybe 3-400ml between oil changes (8k ish - depending on usage)

Yup, worn everything is my guess

Its done (at least) 125'000 of hard miles with at least 60k of them being with an non-too sympathetic owner, then its been driven hard by myself, motorway, with heavy loads, but I have at least kept up with oil changes and what not...

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Nope.... Never gave it a thought TBH... DOH

Where would that be...

Any advance on "the bottom of the engine" :-D

Haynes for this engine seem as rare as hens teeth...

Reply to
Tom Burton

Personally I don't think 125K is a very big mileage for cars these days and I also think driving them hard is good for them. The ruiners of engines are those that potter around never getting them hot properly. And you've kept up with oil changes etc. Having said that hasn't cured your breather problem.

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

in news:mempe.4736$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-win.ntli.net, "Tom Burton" slurred :

There isn't any vacuum to speak of in the inlet manifold of a diesel - there is no throttle plate. The rocker cover will normally be slightly pressurised due to wear on piston rings & valve stem oil seals. If it's significantly pressurised then it might suggest that the crankcase breathers are blocked? (I dunno anything about the isuzu 1.7, so I this may not apply..)

Reply to
Albert T Cone