Buying part ex. cars from garages.

Hello all,

I'm looking out for a cheap car for my dad.... his clio died of a broken cam-belt last week and the garage said it wasn't worth the cost of the repair.

Does anyone here have any experience of approaching garages to buy a part exchanged car which they consider too old to put on the forecourt?

Are there really bargains available?

Any info greatly appreciated,

Pete

Reply to
DesignElect

It can be done, all depends on the helpfulness of the salesperson.

If you go in at a quiet time when there's no interest in his shiny expensive cars, and get to speak to someone relatively senior rather than a sales droid, then you _may_ get taken out the back to have a look.

It's worked for me on a couple of occasions, but the cars they showed me didn't scream 'bargain', so I left it. However, I was tempted by a £1000 Punto Turbo - but it had done 90k miles, so I was a little wary. With hindsight, I should have taken it.

PS: I got a cheap Primera for sale ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

I've bought a couple of part-exes from dealers, but I found most just ship unwanted cars to the block and won't entertain private sales. Some do, and there are bargains to be had, some dogs too, so watch out ;)

If they ask if you're in the trade, say YES, I've not found one that'll sell to the public, probably some legal thing :)

Reply to
Tony Bond

There are some garages here in Gloucestershire which are selling remarkably cheap bangers. I've seen a couple with cars as low as a couple of hundred. Mind you, they were a bit tatty.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

When you sell to the public there isn't any such thing as "Sold As Seen". The car's got to be roadworthy for starters and I guess that spending £40 to have the thing fail an MOT is considered to be a waste of money on the dealership's part.

/john

Reply to
John Kenyon

Thanks for the info, all.

I guess it's worth a try, I might go and dust off the sheepskin coat and head down to Russell's for a bit of bartering. Also, I had a look on Ebay and there seem to be some bargains there..... saw an M reg clio with FSh and about 60K go for about £675. Probably would go for well over 1K in a garage.

If I get a bargain for him, I'll post the results...... thanks for the offer of a primera, but it's got to be a really low insurance group.

Pete

Reply to
DesignElect