Cleaning windshield wiper system T shaped valve

I have a problem with the T shaped valve for my '87 E30. It's part of the windshield wiper system - no. 15 here:

I just changed it (bought it at dealers) a year and a half ago, and it is blocked. There are two holes in it, and water is not sprayed on the windscreen, it escapes trough these two openings down at the engine. Drivers side does spray a little, but on the passangers side nothing.

I only put demineralised water in it, and it is not used often.

What is the reason that BMW fitted valve here? Can I fabricate one out of brass or copper tubing?

Or is there a way to clean this, and how?

Reply to
Yvan

The T piece probably incorporates a one way valve on each side so that the water does not run back to the tank (which would make it take longer to spray onto the screen) If the T piece is blocked then soak it in a descaler, either the type for kettle or irons or just vinegar.

you could replace it with a t piece without valves, a shop that sells aquarium stuff would probably have something, either add inline one way valves or just live with the slight delay in water delivery.

If the jets for the screen are blocked then the best way to clear them is using a miniature drill bit, most people do not have these available so a bristle from a wire brush is the next best, after ensuring the hole is clear use compressed air to get any lumps out.

I would not recommend plain water, not even demineralised, I would always add a proper screen wash fluid.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ultrasonic cleaners are great for little bits like this. Assuming you have one.

Reply to
SteveH

How much is this T-tubing, for Buddha sake?!!

Reply to
Lin Chung

You should try to use warm vinegar with a seringe to force the passage still it work and rinse with tap water. If you used normal water, it made depots in all the system. You should clean all the reservoir and tubing and use only good liquid.

Reply to
Petrus

Nedavno Mrcheerful napisa:

Yes, it does incorporate one way valve, but I there must be also some sort of pressure relief valve. Here is the photo of the T piece:

Note two small holes. Water exits trough these two holes, all of it at the right one, and for the left side half exits there, and half goes on the windscreen.

I will do that, but I use this rarely, and I fitted new one about year and a half ago.

I drilled trough the old one, and I use it like that for now.

Jets are not blocked, new ones are fitted at the same time as the valve, and with the old drilled trough valve the spray OK.

Where I am I can not find screen wash fluid that I can be sure that will not harm rubber around the windscreen. I bought some, and it turned to blue colored leaf-like smelly stuff (the reason I changed valve and jets). So I thought that demineralised water is the next best solution.

Reply to
Yvan

Nedavno SteveH napisa:

No, I don't. :-(

Reply to
Yvan

the bleed off holes are in some in line valves, I hink there must be a diaphragm in them, as maybe pressure relief, perhaps yours have failed?

as for the fluid, then yes, use demineralised as the next best thing.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Nedavno Lin Chung napisa:

It is not the price. Nearest dealer is 100 miles away, plus I have to wait until they get the part from Germany (last time I bought it dealer did not have it in stock, my car is from '87). Then I have to wait for the part to pass the customs, and then go and get it.

Altogether one to two months :-( Everything is different, slow and usually more expensive here.

Reply to
Yvan
[...[

If you don't add *something* to the water, bacteria will grow and the resultant mess will keep blocking things up.

Can you get methylated spirits? Adding that at around 2-5% dilution would help.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Nedavno Chris Whelan napisa:

Methylated spirits... Is this alcohol used for medical purposes (for disinfection)?

Reply to
Yvan

It your part of the world, it may be known as denatured alchohol.

See here:

for more info.

You just need something to prevent bacteria growth. Good quality screen wash additive will contain something that does the job.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Nedavno Chris Whelan napisa:

OK, thank you.

Reply to
Yvan

Nedavno Yvan napisa:

I went to the shop that cleans cartridges for ink-jet printers, and ask them to clean T-valve with their ultrasonic cleaner.

Nothing happened. It seams that something inside is broken :-(

If I blow at the point where fluid comes in, I can hear air escaping at openings (pressure relief?). I guess I'll order new one...

Reply to
Yvan

When I broke a 316 a couple of years back and sold the bits on eBay, I had more people asking for that T-piece than anything else - pity I'd already thrown it away.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke