Clio - Central locking not working

Hi,

I have recently got hold of central locking motors and door looms for my Clio Mk1.

I have installed the two front motors and looms, but nothing works.

When I lock/unlock the drivers side, the passenger loom receives a voltage of around 5v for lock and -3 for unlock ( I think thats the right way round/voltage). But the motors don't do anything.

I have also swapped the 3 other motors in to test (boot and rear doors) and still nothing.

If I am getting a voltage, should the doors lock or is there something else wrong?

I don't have the rear door pillar looms, the boot loom and the sensor & sensor loom. Also the central switch next to the gearstick is missing. Could any of these be causing the problems or have I managed to get hold of 5 duff motors?

Thank you,

Reply to
Hedley Phillips

You'd need to describe it a bit better. Is it a two wire system? If so, it should get 12 volts, with the polarity swapping for open or close. If more than two wires, ie feed and control, pass. But are you sure there isn't meant to be a control box with the whole lot?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You will have to fit the control unit, or else, (depending on the type of motors fitted, wire it through two standard relays).

Reply to
John Egan

Thanks for your and Dave Plowmans replies.

The system is a 2 wire set up with the driver side having the main motor with I think 6 wires.

The locks do take 12v as Dave said, as I put one accross the battery and it worked fine. So at least the motors are not duff.

I am not sure what this control unit is. Had a look at the wiring diagram and all I can see is either the master switch (the one in front of the gearstick). This controls all the doors, and has a 12v feed going to it. And the remote sensor, didn't check the wiring on this.

But before I go any further, I need to find out which part of this set up drained my battery flat the other night :-).

thanks,

/heds

Reply to
Hedley Phillips

I don't - obviously - know the exact setup in your car, but the switch mechanisms tend to fall into two types. One has the timer to give a pulse built in, and the other is a plain switch with an external controller. A DVM should show what type you have, but the ones with the timer usually need a load on them to operate corrrectly - ie a quick test with a DVM on the bench won't show much.

And that's before you start on some of the latest multiplexed types. ;-)

If you can't get anywhere, Maplin do a kit with controller, and the motors are a direct mechanical replacement for many types, so pretty easy to fit. It was on special offer recently at about 20 quid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's usually five wires on the switching motor. The two motor wires and a switch input, (usually earth) and two outputs, (up and down). The two outputs switch a controller which reverses polarity to the rest of the motors for up and down. The basic system is very simple, but when you get into OEM systems with dash switches and crash release systems etc it can become complicated. If you can't get exact details on your system, then as Dave has said, you're probably better off getting a cheap controller and wiring that into the existing motors.

Reply to
John Egan

My SDI, and other Leyland products of that era, have the switch and controller all in one - in a unit which looks identical to the motors. But doesn't have a motor, which means you can't just add a remote facility. Later Range Rovers have a unit which looks the same, but with a motor and five wires. But I'm not sure if it has the controller to give the pulse built in or separate.

The reason for the controller is to give a short duration controlled pulse from a constantly made switch - otherwise the motors would draw current all the time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

However - because it's physically identical to the others you can mount another one on top piggyback using the same mounting holes (there's been room to do this on Metro, Maestro and probably most others) and link the output of the motor to the operating rod with a bit of coathanger and a pair of those tiny clamps for jointing steel cable. Works fine.

Reply to
Guy King

I had to do a cut and shunt job on the mounting bracket to get the resultant pair 'central' again for clearance purposes - but even then had to cut a hole in the door frame to clear the bottom of the extra unit.

If I were doing it again, I'd use the Maplin 5 wire unit which appears a direct mechanical replacment and make a controller. The SD1 system suffers badly from voltage drop when it gets old, so I had to modify it anyway to feed the volts into the middle of the loom instead of at one end.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)