Cracked Zetec Head....Some Advice Please

Car: 1997 2.0 Mondeo 111K miles

Took my car in for a regular service yesterday. No issues apart from having to top up the coolant with about 1L between services (for the first time). I had thought this was due to a slight leak on a hose that was reported during the last service (the mechanic saying not to bother changing the hose as it was a 2 hr job, and it was a tiny leak...)

Anyway, gets a call to say the water pump is leaking. Agree to have it changed then they say it's the head gasket as it was leaking above the pump. Head comes off and it is confirmed as a crack in the head. The crack is right on the line of the gasket. Anyway, needs a recon head fitting.

I would just like to know if anybody else has seen this? The car is too old to get any goodwill from Ford (I tried. 5 yrs is the cut off), but the guys in the garage (Ford agent, not main dealer) have never seen this happen before.

Some photos:

Head:

With gasket:
Apart from a recon head, any other suggestions, apart from scraping the car...It's been extremely reliable and I've had it since new. In any case I've committed to spending a fair amount even to build it back up as is.

Thanks

Kev

Reply to
Kevin

Doesn't even look like a crack although it's hard to tell from a photo. Looks like a normal corrosion mark along the edge of the gasket. It's nowhere near anything critical though so it should be possible to grind it out and weld it back up if it is a crack.

-- Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

Dave Baker

Seems a strange place to crack, if it really is cracked on that line. Was it crack tested properly, or is it an opinion based on a visual inspection? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

That's a very funny place for a crack. If indeed that is the problem and I have my doubts I'd chunk it all out with a Dremel style tool, weld it back up then grind the surface (unless the head is shot in other places like valve guides whena recon may make sense for those reasons)

I have my doubts that's where you are losing coolant though. Let us know the final outcome.

Reply to
Chris Street

Mike

It was just inspected visually. It hasn't been tested in any way. It's a real shame as the car has never let me down. My only thougt was trying to persue the line of manufacturing defect, but the car is too old.

Kev

Reply to
Kevin

Certainly looks like a normal corrosion mark. I'd be more inclined to say it's the head gasket that's been leaking, but can't really be 100% sure going by a photo. I'd get the cylinder head pressure tested first, which will confirm the condition off the head, and then you can decide on what action to take.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

There's an even easier way to tell. Just rub the mark with a piece of coarse wet and dry paper and see if it disappears. Anyway, I've just dug out an identical Zetec head which is waiting to be ported and where the 'crack' is it's solid metal all the way down to the far side of the head. The waterway doesn't start until the edge of the steam hole 10mm further up in the posted pics. The 'crack' would have to run north/south rather than east/west to get to a waterway. I'm now 99.9% sure it's just the mark of the edge of the gasket.

There's a core plug on the side of the head that could be leaking but in the pics it appears in good condition and there is no sign of corrosion in the waterways which would indicate lack of antifreeze. I doubt very much if there is anything wrong with that head but only an independent expert opinion would tell. If it has been removed needlessly then the garage ought to rebuild it all free of charge.

-- Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

Dave Baker

Hi Chris and eveybody who offered useful advice.

I went back to the garage to look at the head with the mechanic. He'd cleaned it up around the 'failure' and indeed it was a hairline crack. I've had a recon head fitted and it's been running fine now for a couple of days...touch wood.

If I offset the cost against not having to fit a new belt for 75K miles and having a 12 month guarantee on the new parts, the charge is *cough* bearable.

Cheers

Reply to
Kevin