Ford Fiesta Mk3 1.1

Just got a 1993 Fiesta 1.1L (85200 miles) for my wife to learn to drive in.

I was going to change the oil/plugs/filters/brake pads to give it the once over. Noticed what seemed to me to be a lot of sticky oily deposit inside the middle of the air filter housing, around carb inlet, (air filter itself clean). I see this is coming from the engine breather pipe attached to the oil filler plug. Plugs were also quite black/wet, though it had only run for few minutes on the choke before I took them out.

I think this car has been sat around for a while and then only done a few local miles for some months before we got it.(200 miles since April and only 2000 miles a year for the last 5 years according to old MOTs I have) It starts first time and doesn't seem to need much choke for long, so I think it might be running rich too.

Is this oily deposit normal? Does it seem like the engine may be worn? It passed the MOT in April so emmissions must have been OK then. Will it likely 'burn off' once it starts being used more? Should I clean the breather/filler cap?

I was going to put some engine flush in it before changing the oil, then consider an additive like 'Molyslip'. It doesn't smoke, but I've no idea how much oil it uses yet.

Anything else to look out for that might be the cause, or is this normal?

Cheers.

Reply to
just asking