Ford Fiesta MK3 Steering Lock

Hi,

Had my fiesta broken in too for second time in two weeks. I do have another fiesta on my drive MOT failure, but with the parts I can swap over.

The ignition lock is screwed, can't turn key in the barrel. The RAC managed to foce key to position one, and the steering lock was released. As the key did not click, he was concerned the steering lock might come loose and engage while I am driving. This is my main concern, and want to try and fix this by disabling the steering lock, or swapping over lock from my other car. I assume swapping the steering lock over is a big task, so have not considerred that.

The ignition lock is at position one, and I was able to remove the ignition barrel and swap it with the barrel in my other car. This did not solve the problem, and I could not move past position one. I could move to position 0 with, but it did not feel right, and the steering lock did not engage.

I can only think that the steering lock mechanism driven by cam has got twisted or broken when the vermin has been forcing the lock by kicking the steering wheel breaking. He got about half the teeth off the steering lock, but was disturbed before he could finish.

I can start the car with a screwdriver, but ideally would like to get the barrel swapped with my other car, and disable the steering lock, so I can start the car with my old key.

Any suggestions / ideas ?

I don't normally fix cars, but my only other option is to scrap the car as garage bill is going to be too expensive to fix this.

Any idvice would be greatly appreciated,

Regards, Paul.

Reply to
peterbilt