MkIII fiesta starting problems

I have recently aquired a '91 fiesta GHIA 1.1. After solving many of the common problems which come with an old car I still cant get the thing to start properly when the engine is cold. It turns over no problem with the choke 1/4 to 1/2 the way out, but as soon as you start to lift the clutch the engine dies, often stalling. If you give the engine some throttle, and start driving, the problem goes away after about 1/2 a mile, but I am worried I am going to burn the clutch or worse. The engine is very noisy, probably the tappets, which I am soon to adjust but I dont think this is the problem. It has had new plugs, leads, oil, filters etc. Any ideas???

Reply to
Voldemort

Pull the choke out a bit more?

Reply to
shazzbat

FWIW, this was the problem my gran had with her Fester, and then the problem my mum had with it once she took it over.

Too much choke and it stalls. Too little choke and it stalls. To much or little _anything_ and it stalls.

Hers was a 90/91 1.1 too!

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Does this car have an arrangement operated by a bi-metal spring which opens part of the exhaust manifold to make the hotspot warm up more quickly? If the hotspot doesn't heat up quickly you can get the symptoms you describe.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

Dizzy cap and rotor arm (if it has one) - and ignition timing?

Is the choke cable too loose - i e too much slack in it so it's fully off when you think its half on?

Reply to
R. Murphy

I've done many a mile in one of these.

Most likely your carb just wants adjusting. Take it to a garage if you haven't got a exhaust gas analyzer.

Also check that the carb is a nice tight fit to the maniford and hasn't become lose.

To start one you should need full or nearly full choke for a couple of minutes and then you should be able to gradually reduce as the engine warms.

Oh yes check that the little arm on the choke on the carb is connected properly. I had a main ford dealer who hadn't fitted it on properly. In fact if they haven't got a computer to tell them what's wrong with the car they are hopeless. Take the car to a back street garage instead of a ford one.

Reply to
David Cawkwell