Mondeo Rattle 1500-2750RPM when moving.

Hi

I recently purchased a W reg,pre-facelift Mondeo 1.8LX with 37K on the clock from the local, main Ford dealer. I was told it had come in as a P/X and was in excellent condition. Test drove it and all seemed fine and both the interior, exterior and service logbook bore out the claimed mileage.

After I'd had it 10 days I noticed a slight rattle, appearing to come from the right hand side. It only occurs between 1500 and 2750 RPM and only when moving. I took it back to the dealer whereupon myself and a mechanic went for a drive so I could demonstrate the noise. He tells me that it is an "Injector Rattle" and is a common thing to happen with these engines.

Does this sound feasible (as I wouldn't expect anyone to diagnose without hearing the sound !) and if so am I correct in not worrying about it ?

Grateful for any input

Dave

Reply to
[rgmw]largie

Injector rattle? LOL. Rubbish.

More likely you have a loose cat heatshield which is resonating at those revs.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Hi. I assume that it is a petrol engine! If so I would ask for a second opinion. This could be a timing belt rattle.

For other car help go to:

Cheers.

Reply to
askhutch

That's a great steaming pile of bull IMHO.

Catalyst heatshield, crumbly catalyst matrix, timing belt or a flapping bit of engine bay shield. Find a decent independant garage, not a Ford dealership.

Reply to
Chris Street

I'd be surprised if it was.

From someone who doesn't know that one of the most common engines in the UK has a belt, not a chain... hmm..

To the OP - my Mondeo had the same problem, though it was a MKI 1.8. It was the heat shield on the cat rattling.

hth Mike

Reply to
Mike P

Totally. My Saab 900 has noisy injectors, it's nothing at all like the heatshield rattling on the mondeo and nothing at all like the OP describes.

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

Thanks to all of you who took the trouble to reply. If it is a loose cat heart shield that should be a lot cheaper to repair than a CV joint which was what I was hoping it wasn't !:- Presumably it's merely a question of tightening the appropriate bolts which any mechanic should be able to do !

Thanks again one and all

Dave

Reply to
[rgmw]largie

It's old enough for the heatshield to be rusted through at the mount points. (that's the heatshield rusted - not the vehicle body!) If so then they are quite inexpensive so don't worry.

Reply to
Chris Street