Mondeo Diesel Death Rattle

Hi all,

My Mondeo has begun rattling from the engine compartment. To be precise, about a week ago it made some squeaking noises as if one of the belts was too loose. Before I got a chance to have a look, the noise stopped so I thought nothing of it. Yesterday I did a 400 mile journey in the thing and noticed towards the end a rattle coming from under the bonnet. Now today I've had a look and the rattle appears to be coming from the camshaft end of the cylinder head. It's the kind of rattle that sends shivers and fear down your spine. It should not be coming from an engine!!!

Any thoughts what it could be and whether I should start praying to the lottery god?

It's a '97 1.8 Mondeo TD.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
LuvArtois

Assuming you mean the cambelt end of the engine, then I would expect that a tensioner roller has disintegrated. Do not use the vehicle at all, get a mobile cam belt man around and explain to him (before he works on it) about the noise. If you are really lucky it will not have jumped any teeth and a new belt kit will fix it.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

"MrCheerful" wrote in news:mDHni.16$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Thanks for responding, yeah, I meant the cambelt end. It seems to be coming from the camshaft sprocket itself. Since the noise first started, I've done about 150 miles in it. (Just one of those things, whether by myself or the AA, I had to get home!) I'm at the stage now, where I'm scratching my head debating whether it's actually worth fixing or scrapping. The cost of a fix versus the cost of the car is probably pretty equal.

Reply to
LuvArtois

Probably shouldn't cost more than £300, tops. If the car has been otherwise reliable then it may be worth doing for a good couple of thousand extra miles. Better the devil you know, and all that.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

A belt kit with tensioners and sprokets will cost 108.22 plus vat from a ford dealer. The cost of the labout probably with a good mechanic maybe 2.5 hours

-- regards

Reply to
Urban Legend

My mechanic does this for £190 all in, and that's Gates belts.

Reply to
Paul Cummins