Oil filter change

I spent 1.5hours of Sunday watching an AA man change an oil filter on a neighbours Lotus Elise. Can there possibly be any car where it takes longer? Graham.

Reply to
Graham + Nicky

MR2 perhaps? McLaren F1 / Jag XJ220 or something similar with a lot of underbody covers?

Reply to
Doki

MR2 is a piece of cake, at least the mk2 - and then only the 1994-1999 model as that had the oil filter at the bottom instead of half way up the engine.

4 bolts to remove the underbody cover to get to the filter.

Took me maybe an hour, but that was mainly because it was the *first* oil change I'd ever done :) (and 20 minutes of that was waiting for the oil to come out). Next time - 30 minutes with 20 waiting.

Reply to
Johnny

Renault GTA. A *pig* of a car to do anything on.

JB

Reply to
JB

my '87 Honda Accord is a bit bad, I have to use ramps and literally crawl my whole body under the engine, then reach up between the (hot) exhaust pipe and engine, undo the filter and try and avoid getting too much oil running down my sleeve ! It's not so bad once you've done it a few times though.. probably takes about an hour, that's with a cup of tea (or can of beer) whilst it drains !

My Peugeot 306 1.9d is ace though, could do it in 20 mins.

As with a few of things Honda, it was obviously designed to be serviceable by a mechanic with the car on a platform, no concessoions for the DIY mechanic at all really !

Simon

Reply to
SimonP

Why would an AA man change an oil filter?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To get to the other side?

Sorry, sounded like it needed a punchline.

Reply to
James Dore

Aren't they pushing for all sorts of "Added Value" services now? I could imagine a scenario where they'd offer simple roadside servicing perhaps as one-off charges or part of a membership package.

I've been a member (for their Relay service) for ten years, and my loyalty is rewarded with free Home Breakdown too, though I've never had to use it until recently. Lately, they're trying all sorts of marketing stunts with me.

Notable was the one where I used them to get a locking wheel nut (sans key) from the wife's car before selling it. The tyre needed changing due to a puncture so this was deemed a valid call out.

Three days later they phoned asking if I'd like a new tyre from their mobile service at a bargain £89 fitted. I said no thanks, saying that the nature of the call out required that this job was done the same day, not up to a week later! Not a bloody clue.

Reply to
DocDelete

I was present when a mate of mine phoned the AA for a mobile tyre fit call out from a layby after a blow out on a trailer on a dual carrigeway.

Bearing in mind, an AA mobile tyre fitting van cruising past was what gave us the idea to phone: "sorry the service doesn't fit tyres this bank holiday monday sir, and we are really busy at the moment. We could get someone out to you thursday of next week?".

My guess is that it's not the sort of 24 hour emergency tyre fitting service that we were thinking of.

Celery.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne