oil filter change?

has anyone got any tips on how to remove an oil filter on a 300tdi without spilling oil on the drive? i have a difflock drain plug on the sump so that is no problem but when it comes to the filter i struggle. so far i have

a) used a container balanced under the filter and undone the filter, the container filled with oil and fell off and the filter became very slippery and i dropped it. b) used a bag to cover the filter, on undoing the filter the whole lot became very slippy and made a big mess. c) today i tried punching a hole in the base of the filter, this worked to some degree but it was still tricky getting a container under the filter to collect the oil, still made a mess.

any other ideas? paul.

Reply to
Paul

I'll second that on a ramp its easy using a collector drum with a funnel

not really practical on the drive. I used a plastic parts box ( skip
) but where I fell down was perforating the filter with the wrench which allowed oil to run onto the diff, along the axle tube and onto the drive next time bigger box ! and since the filter has been put on by someone less simeon - me should be easy enough without puttin a hole in it or maybe not. Derek I remember these
and the phrase chocolate fireguard- not good enough for larger cars i.e. bigger than a smart

Reply to
Derek

Cover the drive with a large, disposable, non-porous, sheet instead of trying to catch the oil? Opened out bin liner?

Still have a receptical handy to dump the filter into but not where it'll get knocked over/off.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's probably impossible to do it completely cleanly - my best suggestion is close to your first. I think that a wet hand is unavoidable.

Loosen canister until it's just on the point of leaking oil.

Hold a suitable container under the filter with one hand. I use an empty

2 litre ice cream container - it's a bit floppy but you can put your thumb over the rim and support the underside with your fingers. Try to keep the base of the container in contact with the filter: that way you have some control.

Release filter with second hand and allow it to drop into container.

On an RRC I do this on the ground from the front working over/under the track rod and panhard rod.

Reply to
Dougal

Better class of bag needed or summat - when we're servicing boats it's normally the only option for keeping the bilge clean. We use fairly heavy polythene bags to do this with reasonable success.

Reply to
EMB

Cut

When I worked in the oil industry here in Australia we were supplied with spill kits. These contained all sorts of things to stop the spread of an oil spill. Long sausage pillows to float on water,pillows to block drains but most useful was an aborbent mat about two foot square. I still have a few of these and drap one over the axle and place one one the ground. I find it most effective. Check out this web site

simon mills

Go to your local Supermarket and do your oil change on their carpark, dont bother to catch any oil from the filter or from the sump drainplug, refit plug, filter and topup. Drive off and leave the mess for all the folk to walk through. problem solved. Regards Rotty

Reply to
Rotty

In message , Paul writes

I can sometimes do 3 or 4 oil changes a day on 300 tdis I use a cardboard "gutter" that rest on top the front axle and directs the oil flow from the oil filter into the drain can ahead of the axle.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Thanks Mark now I've seen it that is so dammed obvious its positively brilliant and I've got a length of poly guttering in the garage next change will be that bit cleaner

Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Sun, 7 May 2006 09:29:21 +0100, Marc Draper enlightened us thusly:

now why've I not thought of that? I already do "cardboard deflector behind the engine so the oil doesn't hit the trackrod and go everywhere".

Reply to
Austin Shackles