Oil seeping

Anybody with experience using an engine oil additive for sealing slight leaks (eg Redex Stop Oil Leak)?

My 1996 Golf 2litre (2E) engine has a small seepage of oil from a small area of the head gasket on the left side of the engine. It's very slight - more an annoyance than anything else, but I don't want it to become worse.

Will such an additive work? Are there any drawbacks? Any thoughts welcome...

-Roy- (Surrey, England)

Reply to
Roy Hammond

Sure it's the head gasket - if it is, then I'd have it replaced rather than use a snake-oil to 'cure' it.

It's more likely to be the rocker gasket, though, which is cheap and easy to replace.

Reply to
SteveH

That stuff's supposed to rejuvenate oil seals-make them more pliable on bits such as crankshaft and camshaft seals. Head gasket seepage-lots of nasty acids eating away at the aluminium- I'd get it replaced soon. Maybe it's just the cam cover gasket-couple of quid and few minutes work DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

The last one I used quite a while back ended up making ALL the gaskets and seals brittle, resulting in more and worse leaks eventually.

Reply to
Conor

Many thanks for all your replies. Reading all you say, I think my best option is to do nothing: the leak's too trivial (per what Neil Ramsey says). Unless, of course the leak intensifies - then the expense of a gasket change becomes sensible. In my case the most likely explanation for the very slight (virtually immeasurable) amount of oil showing, is one given by dilbert - it's caused by stress redistribution in the form of low temperature creep of the head gasket material. Oil appears along the head-block gasket only when the engine is cold, not once it's running warmed-up. Also I tend to believe the majority verdict: that such an additive could do more harm than good...as I suspected! Thanks again.

-Roy- (Surrey, England)

Reply to
Roy Hammond

In message , Roy Hammond writes

Its a well known problem on the Golf/Polo engine going back 20 years although I didn't realise such late models suffered from it. The Haynes manual used to recommend that you put some RTV on the left front corner of the head gasket when you fitted a new one.

Reply to
Paul Giverin