OT: HiFi

Originally sent to uk.rec.broadcast. What's do you wankers know :-), but hey-ho, I'll send it anyway...

Just listening to some music tonight as neighbours moved out a week or two ago. 60% pissed and enjoying the freedom. Even though I'm detached I still don't like to annoy people (no not rich, in fact no job for 20 years).

Been listening to a selection of songs from CD (Steve Miller, Stevie Wonder, Andrew Gold etc). What I really want is speaker that can hit me like a live band firing up. I've been wondering recently, what speakers does Dave Gilmore or Eric Clapton use at home. If there isn't a website that lists the fave speakers for various artists, there should be. My old BC1's and quad

405 were great in their day, but I need something that can handle the bass of a Marshall amp without distortion. As I said, like a live band kickin' in.

I know most of you are old farts into classical instrumentals written 300 years ago, but that doesn't float my boat. Any ideas about speakers that can really hack it as loud as a live rock band without distortion. Thinking of Bose or Tannoy. Thoughts...

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Buy a pair of JBL Eons, they are a powered speaker much used in theatres and bands, excellent sound, reasonably affordable, almost impossible to break and in a home will hurt you if you want them too, great outdoors too. Just feed them from any cd player, computer or whatever,

Reply to
Mrcheerful

& the way everybody solves the bass nowadays is with a seperate amp, a decent crossover & a subbass.
Reply to
Duncan Wood

Bose used to be the flavour of the day but the stuff my mate has is massive. The smallest monitor speakers are about 2ft wide, 18" deep and

12" high.

WHAT I HAVE AT HOME is a Panasonic SA-HE7 amp hooked up to 5 Panny SB- AFC10 speakers and a SB-WA50 active subwoofer and it really blasts your ears out. SB-WA50 does everything up to 150Hz, the AFC10's do everything above 150Hz. Whole lot cost under £300 from Richer when I bought them.

Even on my PC, I have a pair of Creative Labs jobbies with a bass cabinet and it really blasts out.

The trick is to use a base cabinet and a crossover so that the bass cab does all the work at the lower end and the other speakers only have to handle the mid and high so don't distort.

As bass is not directional, it doesn't matter where the f*ck you place the speaker - as long as it's in the same room.

Reply to
Conor

Indeed. To not use a crossover to seperate what frequencies go to what is just a waste of time.

Reply to
Conor

the eons don't actually need a sub for any normal indoor human use, but JBL do also make an eon sub unit as well. overkill for indoors , I suppose outside it would be a useful addition though, and it would satisfy absolutely any noise urges the OP has. Another lovely bonus is that the eons will retain their value, which no domestic stuff will.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Well it depends, the 515s roll of quite rapidly at the bottom end & they're a bit coloured. I've been spoilt by too much D&B though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Bose domestic equipment is basically crap. They did make some half decent PA equipment in the '70s but that lead was soon lost.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mainly because they're still selling the same equipment after 37years. Although I still fancy an acoustic wave cannon, I'm just not sure I 'd ever plug it in.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Anything from goth to punk to gregorian chant, any idea what that sounds good through? I'll trade you insults.

Reply to
Elder

I've been around pro monitors for all of my working life and something which sounds good at rock concert levels and chamber ork ones too doesn't exist.

I'll add that a speaker which sounds really good on classical or acoustic music will also sound good on rock - provided you keep the level reasonable. One which rocks your boat at *high* levels on rock will be rubbish at natural reproduction. And by high level I mean something that most with neighbours could never use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I find M&K are quite good for both :-)

Reply to