Semi OT, but someone might know.

mum and dad have bought a 91 Pajero (later box with the locking diffs). Obviously an import. Problem is, it won't go above 40MPH. Revs cleanly. Changes through the gears, and overdrive works. But no matter how much you flog it, it won't go above 40. Was cheap at auction and they needed a 4x4 for the horse box.

Yes, he had the 4wd/hi-low etc switch changed by Mitsu because it was stuck in 4WD. It now engages and disengages 2H-4H-4H Centre diff locked etc (according to the lights on the dash). I thought it might have been stuck in low range but dad reckons that the mechanic has discounted that. He has been told that when 4x4 trucks are imported they are locked into a limited speed thing before shipping (I know about the normal jap max speed limits) so they can't be caned. I hadn't heard about that, can't find anything on any of the Pajero sites. The truck spent all it's life from new as an import in the UK, as an Estate vehicle managing an estate farm and lands. The 40MPH speed wouldn't have been a problem there, but I can't see it being specced with a diff so low that in 2wd mode it runs so slowly when driving normally.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

If it's a ecu software thing disconnect the battery and leave a brick on the brake pedal for an hour. Connect it back up and see how you go.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Cheers, I'll tell him. One of the more local Automatic transmission places (about 30 mile from him) is owned by a bloke who has a Pajero.

So hopefully he will know something.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2