Paging the fasteneristi

of broken bolt) This is part of the gearbox mounting on a 2002 Saab 9-5 2.2 TiD.

I need a new one for what should be obvious reasons. I can't find a 9-5 Diesel in the breakers or scrapyards locally. It has struck me that this might be a standard part. It says NET 8.8 on the bottom of it.

The thin bit of the shank with the thread is 12mm and the thick bit with the spline is about 20mm.

I wondered if anyone here would know how to get hold of one just like it.

This part is pressed into the top of a casting which bolts onto the gearbox. The casting and stud pressed into it is £45 or so from Saab which I'll pay to get the damn thing back on the road, but I'll find out tomorrow morning whether they had any in stock and I am trying to work out a contingency plan.

So, does anyone have any ideas of where to start looking?

Its a bit like a wheel stud you might find in a hub to bolt the wheels of a car to, but even the extended ones I can find are too short.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Douglas Payne gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It's almost certainly not unique to the diesel 9-5.

I'd be tempted to ask some of the Saab breakers on fleaBay or some of the traders on UKSaabs.

Reply to
Adrian

A contingency plan would be to put a 12mm bolt, or a length of 12mm studding through it with the necessary/ available nuts and washers each end.

Another would be to take it to anyone with a lathe, 5 mins tops I should think. They wouldn't do the splines, but they're not vital to its functioning.

8.8 is its tensile strength. NET is probably the manufacturer.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Wasn't on any of the Diesel 9-3s I found at Mr Scrap which all seemed very similar to Vectra-Cs. Nor any of the Saab engined 9-5s I saw. I didn't see any GM engined 9-5s on my travels.

I was trying to find if there were any other GM cars which used the same platform as the 9-5 to look on, but couldn't see any similar.

The part this stud is pressed into has 'SAAB' and a part number cast into it, so I reckon it may be unique to Saabs anyway.

The dealer came up trumps - but charged ~£49 with a free gearbox bracket. Worth it to my mother to get her car working and the knowledge it hasn't been bodged.

Sorted, thanks for the help.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I was going to do something similar if the Dealer hadn't managed to get his hands on the part.

My tame lathe man is on holiday, I probably would have gone there first.

Always useful to know. Thanks.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

You think wrong. Nearer an hour IMO.

30mm dia plus high tensile steel turned to 29mm and 12mm dia over half it's length, with a 12mm thread.

They wouldn't do the splines, but they're not vital to its

My estimate doesn't include knurling either. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G