Passat Estate boot solenoid questions

Hi everyone, I`ve got a 2002 Passat Estate, with a slightly faulty boot :-) It opens fnie with the key, but it isn`t possible to open it using the electronics - the remote key fob, the toggle on the drivers door and the switch on the boot itself do nothing.

The solenoid itself doesn`t move or make any noise when anything is done that should activate it. All the fuses are fine (we couldn`t figure out which fuse did this, so I checked them all). Any suggestions? We`ve had a multi-meter to the plug into the solenoid, which gives a zero reading even when the buttons are pressed to activate the solenoid. Would the signal be enough to register on a multi-meter (in time)? Any other cunning suggestions that we could try? Everything else on the boot panel works fine - the lights, window washer and wiper all work as designed.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Take the solenoid out and put +12V and 0V directly to it to see if it actuates.

Reply to
Conor

What`s the best way to get a good enough 12V feed? I`d guess that plugging it across the car battery would be a less then stellar idea :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Why? It's what I would do. (And the AA, auto electricians et al.)

If you are worried about shorting the ends of the wire together, get an in-line fuse of perhaps 20A from a car parts shop and make up a test lead.

Car electrical bits and pieces can be polarity sensitive; make certain you get that right and all will be well.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan