Petrol & why your wife shouldn't wear nylon knickers !!!

That's a big spark plug.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

reg wrote: ||

I've got some sympathy for the woman trying to fill her tank and can only park with the car's filler cap on the opposite side to the pump.

At one time the pump hose was attached to a swivelling arm which went over the top of the vehicle, why aren't these in use any more, some kind of health and safety requirement?

Reply to
Ivan

Yes, I have to struggle sometimes when the hose is a bit short. Ripped the side out of a front tyre a coule of months ago by trying to get close to the pump, and touched the sharp metal edge to the kerb. It was a Tesco filling station, so I went in and complained to the staff, and was told I should learn to drive properly. So I went to see the customer services manager and told her. Got a new tyre.

Reply to
Brian

Brian ( snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Good customer service.

But you shouldn't rely on that - and you should learn to drive properly, yes.

Reply to
Adrian

I am the one who in such circumstances where the only pumps available are on the wrong side for the filler, simply reverses in - much easier than struggling with a hose which is too short.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

This was featured on mythbusters: they showed that it is very hard, if not impossible, to start a fire/explosion with a mobile phone, and that in the US, where the pump can be latched on while the driver retuens to the car & sits down, fires started by the static generated are relatively common.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Don't you start..... ;)

Reply to
Brian

It is theoretically possible for the RF energy emitted by a mobile phone to cause a spark and thus ignite petrol vapour, under worst case conditions, but this is the sort of hazard that comes out of a risk assessment rather than real life experience - practically speaking it's not usually going to be a concern. I think that this was a more credible hazard with the old CB radios which were higher power

Reply to
leo

But continuous wave...

It's mre kilely with a pulsed signal than a continuous signal, but you;re right, the odds of it happening are very low.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

That's what the mythbusters show said. It's theoretically possible, but unlikely. Theytried very hard with a phone, and didn't manage it.

Firefighters, for example, have special radios that are deemed safe in an explosive atmosphere.

Reply to
Chris Bartram
[...]

The radios will be "intrinsically safe" ones having for example battery compartments that are more secure than usual in order to prevent a hazard if the radio if dropped; the actual transmitting part of it won't be any different.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Brainiacs tried this too and completely failed to blow up a petrol-soaked caravan with a whole load of mobile phones. (being Brainiacs, they ignited it regardless ;-)

Reply to
asahartz

(snip excellent H&S story)

I have to admit that I have been working in safety and reliability for many years - but as an engineer rather than as a Safety Nazi. It's a problem in that the demand for risk assessments has gone way up but the supply of skilled and reasonable people hasn't. Unfortunately your story highlights a major failing in safety assessment and this sort of incident is not likely to go away without a major rethink of the whole process.

Reply to
leo

Here are the email addresses you need.

snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com

Clive

Clive

ISTR that actually, the output power was reduced over the standard variant (I worked in a fire brigade radio workshop for a while in the dim and distant past). This may, of course have been due to battery current limitations rather than any difference to the output stage. It

*was* a long time ago.
Reply to
Chris Bartram

My experience was within an industry that used LPG. The radios that were used just had a reinforced battery compartment secured with a security screw. Those modifications plus the necessary certification roughly trebled the cost of them!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yep. Some of our guys (not me) were certified to work on them. The batteries, like you say, had to be released with a key, and there was additional case protection and sealing.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I've never encountered a hose that's too short - and I fill up like this a lot of the time.

You just need to position the car with a bit more accuracy.

Reply to
SteveH

Pah!

I'd have told him to take driving lessons and to go whistle for his tyre.

Reply to
SteveH