Service history from VW

Basically went to see an X-reg 2000 Golf this evening from a buyer who had it 8 months, the previous keeper is down as Interleasing. He said that he doesn't have any service history with the car. Is it possible to get retrospective service info if it was performed at a VW dealer i.e. would there be a central register of the car's details?

Cheers

Reply to
Carlos

Carlos ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Probably - or the lease company.

I wonder what that'll reveal about the mileage...

Reply to
Adrian

You mean the 64,000 miles might not be genuine :-D

To be honest I can tell the seller is up to something, but its priced to sell and even if the lease company tell me it had 100,000 on the clock prior to them selling, I would still consider as its an excellent condition

115BHP GT TDI. The Log book says Interleasing from 2000 to March 2004 and then he's had it since.

Tomorrow all will be revealed

Cheers Carlos

Reply to
Carlos

You can phone VW - I did before buying a Golf. But they'd only tell me if I was the registered owner - sort of defeats the point IMO.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Carlos ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Gosh, I wonder... Surely not...?

What if it had 164k prior to them selling?

Reply to
Adrian

Try Carfax. You will need the VIN number, and unlimited CARFAX inquiries is about $24 for 30 days.

Papa

may leasing companies do servicing "in house" and don't bother with the service book. they sould be able to do you a print out of what it had done and when. give them a call, they're usually quite helpful :)

Reply to
Nathan Lucas

or the current owner has done a lot in the last 8 months - e.g. like a Taxi?

Lease cars could be ex-company cars where the company leased them - it might be worth asking the owner if it was his ex-company car which he bought at replacement time, or who the company was.

Reply to
R. Murphy

Good one that!

I've just tried entering the VIN of my Astra, and it was rejected as invalid.

My wife's micra - ditto ..

Reply to
R. Murphy

It should be exactly 17 characters long.

Reply to
Papa

Reply to
Alec