Coil over strut - similar query...

Continuing my quest to discover what's making the clunking noise in my mondeo I had a look at the rear suspension strut top mount accessed from the boot to see if it needed tightening but wasn't sure of which bit should be held and which bit turned, well I guess the nut needs to be turned whilst keeping the shaft fixed with a hex key but it's all encased in a metal dome with just enough room to fit the socket in so what tools am I supposed to use?

Also what does the shaft go into at the bottom, how is it fixed? I.E. what would happen if I were to keep turning the shaft?

TIA.

W.

Reply to
Well_i_Wonder

A short box spanner with a hex key down the centre?

Not that I'm recommending you try it, but in the past I have gripped shock shafts with protected Mole grips, above the swept area, and tightened the nut that way.

Nothing.

Not being familiar with the Mondeo r/suspension, I assume we're talking about the shock absorber. In which case, at the bottom it will probably be attached to the suspension arm with a bolt through a rubber mounted bush on the shock..

Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

If it's the old sort of Mondeo, anti roll bar bushes. Should cost about a fiver, and take bugger all time to change barring siezed bolts holding the brackets on.

Reply to
Doki

Thanks,

Yeah I'd already changed the anti-roll bar bushes and drop link bushes but it still clunked a bit. Today I tightened the damper top mount and adjusted the boot lock so it closes tighter and now all clunking and odd noises gone :-D

It's my pet hate - rattles and knocks dunno why I bought a mondeo really..

W.

Reply to
Well_i_Wonder